Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 16" versus 18" for 3 Gun

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    16 or 18". I have used both, so has my 'mates. It comes down more to your abilities than 2" of barrel from what I have seen.

For 2011 Im going to use an 18" with intermediate length gas system.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwickwire View Post
    I think most 3-gun guys go with an 18 inch with a rifle length gas system.
    This.

If it is going to be a game gun then you can get the adjustable gas block, the low mass operating system and the brake. Get the gas tuned in and rock and roll. Such a manageable system I can see my hits and misses and correct.

That dog will hunt, or at least you can't blame the dog when you don't do well.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score

3gun rifle

You can certainly shoot 3gun w/ a 16" bbl., as long as you understand the pros and cons.

I shoot 3gun and rifle only matches. I run a JP CTR02 18", but started w/a JP15 20" (which I shot for 4 years and about 8K rnds). I had bought a 16" JP upper to try when I had the 20" upper thinking I'd like a short upper for matches with close targets. I didn't care for it (to light, harsher recoil). In talking with John at JP, you start to lose significant velocity with the 16" guns, which I confirmed. As I tend to shoot mostly 55gr bullets, I didn't want to give up to much velocity. That said, as long as you know your dope for targets beyond 300 (small percentage of match targets) you can certainly hit them w/a 16" bbl.

I like the feel of the rifle length gas system. Combined w/the adj gas block, lightened stainless carrier and JP Comp, the control / softness / flat shooting of the 18" and 20" uppers are amazing. They shoot 55's as well as 75 or 77's. Accuracy and reliability are awesome. Balance and weight of the upper is perfect due to the bbl profile JP uses. The 16" bbl shines on run and gun stages where your pushing the gun in ad out of ports, moving down halls, etc. I decided to split the difference and go w/a 18'' bbl as it was the best compromise.

I've had Larue 16", 18", and 20" uppers as well as an 18" upper with a woa bbl. I run a 16" Colt at work and none of them felt as good to shoot as the JP for 3gun. YMMV. You can order an 18" bbl w/ adj. gas block and comp for your rifle. You can also order a lightened carrier if you want the whole system.

www.jprifles.com

Best,
    Nick

Don't work for or have any interest in JP Rifles. Just passing on what works for me.
    Last edited by NickW; 10-27-10 at 12:06. Reason: add info

Feedback Score
    Most of the top 3 gunners gernerally shoot full sized ARs with 20 in barrels although some use 18 inchers. A couple have gone to the 17 or even 16 in guns but the trend is still to utilize guns with the full length gas system as they are softer to shooter (i.e. less gun movement).

Taran Butler uses a shorter barrel which fits his shooting style (he shoots the AR like a big Open pistol). Rob Romero runs a shorter barrel too. Tony Holmes has monkeyed with a 16 in gun but I don't know what his final opinion was. But that is a minority group.

I like the 18 for a Tac Scope or Open gun as it gets you the rifle length gas system with at least the perception of more manueverability than a 20 in. That being said, I don't shoot an 18 any better than I do a 20.

For iron sights, a 20 with extended sight radius is defintely the way to go.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Like already stated above, max distance for your typical matches may be your deciding factor on barrel length, but even then, a 16" barrel w/good ammo and knowing your drops, can be competative. I have a sabre barreled 16" middy, a sabre barreled 18" middy and a 18" douglass barreled rifle gas and really can't tell that much diff between them (recoil impulse) as long as you run a good comp (SJC Titan). Longest shot I've taken was at Ft. Benning @ 425 yds and made my hits w/a 16" but the 18" may get you a little more velocity and shoot slightly flatter. At 200-300 yds, my 16"'s and 18"s shoot identically. I do use 75 gr ammo on anything outside of 100 yds and 55 gr for anything inside 100 yds. Just zero for long range and know your drops above all else and make sure you get a good comp/muzzle brake and trigger. Any SS Sabre, BCM or Noveske barrel will shoot better than you could for all intensive purposes.
    Last edited by Stik; 10-27-10 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've done 3 target drills with 14.5" carbine, 16" midlength and 18 rifle length. The 18" rifles (which were a JP and a Firebird with a WOA barrel) transition just a well as the shorter rifles. The 16" shot well, but was not as smooth as the 18" which both had adjustable gas blocks and lightened carriers. the 14.5" (remsport barrel) was so over gassed that it was absolutely brutal to shoot, and it eventually ate through an adjustable gas block. Lighter is not always better close in. Try each and see what works for you

Feedback Score
    I think I'm going to give Noveske the nod and go
    with an 18" RH upper with an sjc Titan . I really like the BCM ss 410 too..
    I'm stepping out out of my (16") comfort zone and I'm way
    stoked about it...you guys are great, I really appreciate it...

Grant

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rak320 View Post
    I think I'm going to give Noveske the nod and go
    with an 18" RH upper with an sjc Titan . I really like the BCM ss 410 too..
    I'm stepping out out of my (16") comfort zone and I'm way
    stoked about it...you guys are great, I really appreciate it...

Grant
    Cool we are gettign the same gun. Post pics when you get it. I was told mine should be in any week now.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    16 or 18". I have used both, so has my 'mates. It comes down more to your abilities than 2" of barrel from what I have seen.

For 2011 Im going to use an 18" with intermediate length gas system.
    Quck question is the intermediate length more like a mid length or is it closer to a rifle length gas system?
    Thanks in advance
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I'll chime in on this one as I had the same question earlier this year when I was looking getting a few new rifles. I experimented with a few custom uppers, 16" middy's and 18" rifle length. 18" rifle definitely shoots softer and with the correct barrel profile can be lighter than most shorter guns. When all was said and done from a practical perspective and to quote Mike Voigt "it really doesn't matter." I ended up going with a Noveske fluted 18" rifle length barrel with a long PRI tube, PRI brake, Young bolt carrier, and a Trijicon TR-24. The gun is super light, extremely accurate, and shoots very soft.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast