Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 16" versus 18" for 3 Gun

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Ive been running a BCM SS410 16in Mid-length all year long. Works really well for me combined with a BC 1.0 and a A2 Stock.

Im up in the air on whether I want to continue running this setup, or build a 18in Rifle Length Gas with UBR. What I have now shoots great, especially with the 68gr BTHP Hornady load that I have made up, but Id really like the Rifle gas.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
    Can you get a 17" with an intermediate? I want a barrel that induces felt recoil like my 18" JP but weighs less.
    I was actually thinking about that too. Does anyone know the difference in weight between 16", 17", and 18" barrels of like diameters?

-B
    Last edited by BAC; 12-16-10 at 20:22.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Anyone have any info on the standard 16" or 18" Vs light weight barrels?

I am thinking of putting together a 'do it all' recce. I want the accuracy of stainless but the rifle will run hot every now and again.

Really good thread, lots of helpful info in here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
    Sorry I had to stop right there. That match had a nice prize table but it was more in the realm of $50-75k maybe $100k.

I would go with the shortest lightest rifle length gas system you can find.
    maybe so, I was quoting Kirk..at least I thought I was..didnt have a calculator...
    " Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun, you might meet'em both if you show up here not welcome son.." -Josh Thompson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rak320 View Post
    maybe so, I was quoting Kirk..at least I thought I was..didnt have a calculator...
    I could be wrong as wl if Kirk said that then it's probably true.

Feedback Score
    I believe some of the noveske folks go with the heavy operating system/heavy buffer setup with non-adjustable gas block.

The rest go with the JP style where its rifle length gas and lightweight operating system.

The 16 vs 18 debate is pretty similar over on the 3 gun forums. Basically its a personal preference thing, all else equal.

If you're good enough to make the major matches where your actually chrono'ed then just make sure you're running the right ammo with your specific barrel to meet power factors (but the general consensus is that the 18" has less to worry about in that department)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ummagawd View Post
    I believe some of the noveske folks go with the heavy operating system/heavy buffer setup with non-adjustable gas block.

The rest go with the JP style where its rifle length gas and lightweight operating system.

The 16 vs 18 debate is pretty similar over on the 3 gun forums. Basically its a personal preference thing, all else equal.

If you're good enough to make the major matches where your actually chrono'ed then just make sure you're running the right ammo with your specific barrel to meet power factors (but the general consensus is that the 18" has less to worry about in that department)
    As far as I know, USPSA is the only ruleset that mandates a minor rifle power factor.

Velocity for power factor shouldn't be a concern, I know I shoot soft ammo.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789