Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question on Fal vs. Para Fal

Feedback Score
    If you want a nice Para FAL buy the DSA para conversion kit with the alloy lower and M249 SAW pistol grip for the Imbel and a DSA Type 1 or Type 2 receiver and specify the para top cover cut.

If you don't plan on ever using a non optics FN iron sight stamped sheet metal top cover and only plan on using a DSA optics mount top cover you will not need the para cut in the receiver.

If you feel the need for modular rails, the VELTOR CASV has the edge over the DSA rail system IMHO, but both are very good and personal preference seals the deal on final selection

Send the gun to a competent FAL gun smith, have the smith shorten the barrel to 17.375 in, re crown with 11 degree crown and assemble properly.

Keep the original non para Imbel parts in case you ever want to change back to non para configuration.

You will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by FN50; 11-15-14 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you already have the receiver and didn't specify the Para cut, no worries. Just get their non Para cut Para top cover. Paras typically have a little nose on the leading edge of the top cover that tucks into a recess in the receiver (i.e. "para cut" receiver). It's not necessary really unless you're a stickler for "correctness". Functionally, it won't matter. The scope bases simply replace the top cover. No smithing necessary. Slide them on and tighten the screws.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My first issue rifle was a Para FAL and I never had any reliability issues with it that the regulars did not also rifle have. The only reliability problem I ever had (and was common for all) was initially dropping the bolt it would not completely lock into place and you could usually push it with your finger or do a shorty snap and it was all good. While I love the FAL para for sentimental reasons and yes it folds well, if I had to carry one into battle again I would prefer it to be a standard model with an 16-18" bbl.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I went off the deep end instead and bought two of the ****ers instead. Well, Im technically not done with the PARA build, but I got the most important part.

Here is the one I was talking about earlier. I left it as an FN 50.00.

And then I found this IMBEL receiver with an StG.58 barrel cut to 18" and also had the nose receiver cut.

M4Fundi, in which country did you serve?
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 12-03-14 at 03:18.
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123