Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .308 Build

Feedback Score
    WWHunter, I will be stalking/ hunting with dogs so there will be walking/running and your words were already thoughts in my mind about weight and distance not being my friends. A 18" bolt action might be a little easier to lug around. Thanks for the info.
    "There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily." - George Washington

"Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death."

Feedback Score
    I have killed several black bear.
    I did kill one with a 20" 308, it was a single shot, I usesd a 180gr Woodleigh Soft, but I would be just as happy with a 165 Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, or a Nosler Partition.

I think a M1-A bush gun or a scout squad with a 1.75-6 Leupold would be hard to beat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    What's your estimated distance? 16 vs 18 is a good question, but don't neglect what's on the market for that alone. Like, if you are thinking LMT, don't get Brand X off the shelf just to get a 18. Also, consider the hotter rounds now available which would help you bridge the GAP. Oh, did I capitalize that?

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precis...ion-ar-10.html
    Get a GAP

Feedback Score
    .308 w/the right bullet is plenty for black bear. As usual its all about shot placement but some of the best loads to use would be Hornady's premium stuff or some Federal premium. Look for a load that features the Barnes X bullet, Nosler Partition, or some of the newer bonded ballistic tips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12