Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison Tenderloin (Self Harvisted)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Venison Tenderloin (Self Harvisted)

Thought I'd share the fruits of one successful outing during deer season

Trim all "Silver Skin" from the venison. From what I have read with venison, if its white, toss it. If its read EAT IT

Take butterflied tenderloin and marinade in Italian dressing for 6 or 8 hrs. I added garlic, pepper and salt to my marinade mixture. Not alot of salt due to wrapping with Bacon for grilling.

Wrap in bacon and gril on high heat till searing outside as good as possible. I could have gone a tad more well done with these but basically once firm but not mostly resistant to touch I pulled them off grill. What id call Medium and in some places maybe a medium rare.

Couple fillet Mignon steaks also

gotta have extras while the grill is hot!!

Bacon never stays on

Done!!
    Brian Goode
    NC Knifemaker
    http://www.bgoodeknives.com

Feedback Score
    Great, now I'm hungry.

We cook ours wrapped in bacon too, except for the marinading (we aren't going to wait that long).

Feedback Score

Thats good for..

waterfowl also. Most folks who hate duck or geese love it when I do it just like that. To go one step further, butterfly the butterfly and add a small slice of pepperjack cheese and some brown sugar. Then rewrap with bacon...mmmmm!-WW

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks good, Brian!

I typically hunt in the evening, so processing goes well into the night when successful. Due to this, I am partial to tenderloin, eggs, and toast the next morning.

Mike
    Last edited by Mikey; 10-23-10 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    When I was in the Scouts, we helped some hunters in the adjacent campsite get their fire started, and hang their deer. In the morning, they cooked us fresh venison steak and eggs. Delicious!

My favorite venison marinade is as such:

1 cup Sangria
    1/4 cup pineapple juice
    1 teaspoon each Parsley, Sage, Thyme, Ginger, Rosemary

Let the meat marinate for 24-48 hours in the fridge. Then sear and grill slowly, basting the meat with the remainder of the marinade.

Yummy!

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Nice!

I usually just do a marinade of worcestershire sauce with a bit of seasoned salt, and garlic for 2-4 hours then grill until medium-rare.

I'm definitely going to try the italian dressing marinade, and bacon though, that looks delicious. :drool:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Nice!

I usually just do a marinade of worcestershire sauce with a bit of seasoned salt, and garlic for 2-4 hours then grill until medium-rare.

I'm definitely going to try the italian dressing marinade, and bacon though, that looks delicious. :drool:
    My mom used to make a tenderloin dipping sauce out of mayonnaise and Worcestershire sauce.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    My mom used to make a tenderloin dipping sauce out of mayonnaise and Worcestershire sauce.
    Really? I never thought of making a sauce to dip the tenderloins in... It sounds kind of intriguing though. Care to share the recipe?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Really? I never thought of making a sauce to dip the tenderloins in... It sounds kind of intriguing though. Care to share the recipe?
    Small saucer of mayo + about 5-6 dashes of Worcestershire. Mix with a spoon until blended. Dip tenderloin. Eat.

She usually pan-fried the tenderloins like steak tips, then we would dip them in the sauce before eating them. Mom always just called it 'Worcestershire sauce', so I spent years thinking that the whole concoction was so named. I bought a bottle of Worcestershire sauce once and was surprised and annoyed that it had no mayo in it.
    Last edited by LHS; 10-24-10 at 02:35.

Feedback Score
    While I have been know to wrap them in bacon and grill them, growing up everything except the tenderloin and backstrap was made into sausage. We chicken fried the tenderloin and backstrap. Heck when my folks had a calf processed, the steaks were cut thin to chicken fry. Chicken fried rib eye is mind blowing.

I of course have learned that not everything has to be fried...though it can be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast