Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .50 Beowulf reliability?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

.50 Beowulf reliability?

Hi guys, I was cruising the internet looking at stuff and started to wonder about the .50 Beowulf. I know it is just a 150 yard cartridge, but it could be fun. The ammo is reasonably priced compared to most hunting ammo. However, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about the reliability and durability of the .50 Beo uppers and magazines that are out there. Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by 500grains; 10-23-10 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    I'd be interested in this info as well, seems like a really fun round to shoot. I like the fact it can be devastating up to 200 yards. An upper can be had fairly cheap, once my 6920 retires from a long week of work I can swap with that .50 upper and have fun at the range. This seem really apealing.
    Last edited by OTO27; 10-24-10 at 00:37.

Feedback Score
    Hi Gents,

I have an AA 50 beowulf upper for my AR and have never had a lick of trouble with it mechanically. If I do my job.. it does it's. It's like any other AR clone. Keep it wet and clean and it works.

And fyi, get an extra power spring and an H3 buffer for it if you're running a carbine receiver extension. The recoil is "attention getting".

I bought mine about 1.5 yrs ago and ran a few rounds through it to zero my irons and RDS. It wasn't hyper accurate but it was above par for a 16" barreled AR with groups ,using factory ammo, of 1.25-2" at 100 yrds. Took it deer hunting last year and got two. One was very short ranged at about 40yrds.. the animal was DRT and got knocked about 5 yrds into the brush by the impact. Second was an uphill shot in heavy brush at about175yrds and all I could see was a bit of neck and his head. Hit him just behind the ear and again he was DRT. Was using 334 HP factory.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hammer_Man View Post
    Took it deer hunting last year and got two. One was very short ranged at about 40yrds.. the animal was DRT and got knocked about 5 yrds into the brush by the impact. Second was an uphill shot in heavy brush at about175yrds and all I could see was a bit of neck and his head. Hit him just behind the ear and again he was DRT. Was using 334 HP factory.
    So what you are saying is I don't need to worry about barrier blind bullets for this round?!?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    are these blowback, or DI?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    They are D.I.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Hammerman, that is very good to hear. THank you.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Used one in Astan for DOS extensively in 02'.

imo I do not consider a Beowulf combat reliable weapon platform.

The Beowulf does have a place & purpose as a viable round in hunting.

As a Combat weapon is not it's place.

I also agree that keeping it clean & wet is your best bet.

Hth.....

Feedback Score
    I had some issues with mine, but it was an older model and a quick trip back to Alexander Arms had me fixed up with a new bolt and carrier. No problems since then. The original semi carrier wasn't holding up, but the heavier full carrier got me running. Great customer service by AA also.

If you plan on reloading for it, powder selection seems to be the key as mine would not run on several of the recommended powders. Once I found the ones it liked...no problems.

Just be prepared to chase that brass down. At near $1 per case these days I can't afford to let any get away.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    About the magazines, the factory 7 rounder that came with it worked fine, they say that you can use regular GI mags with it, but when I tried it they weren't feeding right. I had to bend the feed lips out a little bit. Also, I don't think you can use PMAGs with a Beowulf either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast