Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" battery less red dots

Feedback Score

"Affordable" battery less red dots

Like the Trijicon Reflex and the Meprolight 21 but I wonder is there is a less expensive still reliable unit? I am getting set up a 223 handgun as a bedside solution and want something that will work, day or night and that there will be no turning on of a switch required.

One that I could set on a 30mm ARMS mount would be awesome.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruchi View Post
    Like the Trijicon Reflex and the Meprolight 21 but I wonder is there is a less expensive still reliable unit? I am getting set up a 223 handgun as a bedside solution and want something that will work, day or night and that there will be no turning on of a switch required.

I am not aware of any less expensive units. Also are you sure you want a .223 pistol for home defense. They are loud and have greatly diminished terminal performance due to their short barrels. A standard carbine would be a better idea or a normal handgun. (9mm, 40sw, 45 acp etc)
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Get a good SBR and suppressor or use a handgun. An AR pistol is a gadget and I guarantee if you fire it indoors you will never want to do so again.

Quote Originally Posted by bruchi View Post

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    An AR pistol is a terrible choice for intimate-distance protection.
    The low muzzle velocity will cause the bullets to demonstrate higher penetration depths.
    Since virtually all 5.56 wounding effects beyond puncture are velocity related, the wound profile will be more similar to .22 WMR than the normal wound profile of military weapons.
    Pistol length ARs are notoriously finicky and prone to function problems.
    Pistol ARs are manipulated like full size ARs, which are way more difficult to clear stoppages, reload, and work with one-handed than traditional" pistols, even if they have ambi controls.
    With a pistol length AR, muzzle flash is dramatic, and the blast is deafening.
    You cannot grip an AR pistol like you can grip a "real" handgun, which reduces effectiveness at all sorts of gunhandling skills, from press-out to multiple shot string control.
    It is extremely difficult to mount a light that can be operated with one hand on an AR pistol, unlike the plethora of options with real pistols.

Here's what it boils down to: compared to a traditional, quality pistol, the pistol AR will be less effective, harder to control, require MORE shots to have the same wound reaction, be more difficult to get those bullets into the desired areas, require two hands to do so, and blind and deafen you while you are doing it.

Pistol ARs are toys.

As far as optics go: the ones you mention are not considered by many to be acceptable for combat use. They don't get better when they get cheaper.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 10-26-10 at 19:46.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You obviously haven't seen Clear and Present Danger. AR pistols are totally cool and you can blast guys out of helicopters with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    An AR pistol is a terrible choice for intimate-distance protection.
    The low muzzle velocity will cause the bullets to demonstrate higher penetration depths.
    Since virtually all 5.56 wounding effects beyond puncture are velocity related, the wound profile will be more similar to .22 WMR than the normal wound profile of military weapons.
    Pistol length ARs are notoriously finicky and prone to function problems.
    Pistol ARs are manipulated like full size ARs, which are way more difficult to clear stoppages, reload, and work with one-handed than traditional" pistols, even if they have ambi controls.
    With a pistol length AR, muzzle flash is dramatic, and the blast is deafening.
    You cannot grip an AR pistol like you can grip a "real" handgun, which reduces effectiveness at all sorts of gunhandling skills, from press-out to multiple shot string control.
    It is extremely difficult to mount a light that can be operated with one hand on an AR pistol, unlike the plethora of options with real pistols.

Here's what it boils down to: compared to a traditional, quality pistol, the pistol AR will be less effective, harder to control, require MORE shots to have the same wound reaction, be more difficult to get those bullets into the desired areas, require two hands to do so, and blind and deafen you while you are doing it.

Pistol ARs are toys.

As far as optics go: the ones you mention are not considered by many to be acceptable for combat use. They don't get better when they get cheaper.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You obviously haven't seen Clear and Present Danger. AR pistols are totally cool and you can blast guys out of helicopters with them.
    HAHA! Wow. You just went there, didn't you? To reinforce what's been said in the thread... what has been said is true. If you want to use an ar for HD, do not go the pistol route. SBR supressed if possible.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I dont see the obsession with battery-less optics.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Duh that for when we get hit with an EMP. Come on man keep up.

Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Pretty obvious; they don't run on batteries; they can stay on, so you don't have to turn them on. That's the theory at least.
    However, that's only one definition of reliable.

Having said that, compared to quality battery operated red dots, they're far from ideal. My experience is that non-powered red dots seem to be more subject to the vagaries of various lighting conditions, and often have less than ideally shaped reticles.
    For the OP, I suggest that you consider just going with a red dot like the Aimpoints or one of the newer EOTechs.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    Pretty obvious; they don't run on batteries; they can stay on, so you don't have to turn them on. That's the theory at least.
    However, that's only one definition of reliable.

Having said that, compared to quality battery operated red dots, they're far from ideal. My experience is that non-powered red dots seem to be more subject to the vagaries of various lighting conditions, and often have less than ideally shaped reticles.
    For the OP, I suggest that you consider just going with a red dot like the Aimpoints or one of the newer EOTechs.
    With Aimpoints you can also leave them on and change the batteries every 5 years or so. So the you don't have to turn the sight argument is a bit weak.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast