Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" battery less red dots

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What Pat said.

Just swap the batteries at about the same time that you swap the batteries in your smoke alarm.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I am not aware of any less expensive units. Also are you sure you want a .223 pistol for home defense. They are loud and have greatly diminished terminal performance due to their short barrels. A standard carbine would be a better idea or a normal handgun. (9mm, 40sw, 45 acp etc)
    Pat
    Thanks for making me aware of the short comings of the "battery-less" red dots, I am now staying far away from those,
    the Aimpoint seems to be a wise option for home defense, no clue the batteries lasted that long!

I will take in consideration the comments regarding the use of an AR handgun for home defense but same thing was said of the 5.7x28 cartridge's terminal performance, the guy that murdered all those folks at Ft. Hood used a FN57 handgun, absolutely for 300 yard shots a 7.5" barrel is not the right choice but that is not the case here, distances inside my home are at a maximum 15 yards so I think the 223 handgun can do the job. Mine has never jammed, still the first thing I grab in the middle of the night is a "satchel" with a 357 revolver, flashlight and speed loaders for the revolver, then the phone, The AR handgun last.

Regarding over-penetration, all the walls in my house are made of concrete.

Regarding noise the most recommended home defense weapon is a 12 gauge, those are kinda noisy, in a SHTF scenario noise and muzzle blast are gonna be the last thing you are gonna worry about, here using a rifle in a self defense situation will get you in a heap of legal problem regardless the situation, a handgun is fine.

I've seen "Clear and Present Danger" - movies have no bearing on my gun choices for real world use.

Feedback Score
    Just checked this out:

The velocity of a 22WMR from a handgun is about 1400 FPS, the velocity of a 223 from an AR handgun is around 2600 FPS.

I shoot my AR handgun 2 handed as any other handgun, is there another way to do so?
    Last edited by bruchi; 10-28-10 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    How you choose to defend your home is up to you.

Good luck.

If you want to learn more about the topic, feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate sub-forum to avoid cluttering this one. If you don't, don't.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 10-28-10 at 13:13.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You obviously haven't seen Clear and Present Danger. AR pistols are totally cool and you can blast guys out of helicopters with them.
    Of course that pistol AR could blast people out of helicopters! It's an Oly!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruchi View Post
    Regarding noise the most recommended home defense weapon is a 12 gauge, those are kinda noisy, in a SHTF scenario noise and muzzle blast are gonna be the last thing you are gonna worry about, here using a rifle in a self defense situation will get you in a heap of legal problem regardless the situation, a handgun is fine.
    Where is "here"?

I've seen "Clear and Present Danger" - movies have no bearing on my gun choices for real world use.
    That was what's called a joke.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Just checked this out:

The velocity of a 22WMR from a handgun is about 1400 FPS, the velocity of a 223 from an AR handgun is around 2600 FPS.

I shoot my AR handgun 2 handed as any other handgun, is there another way to do so?
    Whoo. MV is only one consideration among many when it comes to comparing calibers and ammo selection thereof, especially if you're going with an orange/tangerine side-by-side like that.

The second: Put a stock on it and shoot it the way a carbine design is meant to be employed. (That, too, is a joke, or at least friendly ribbing.)

Trijicon makes the RMR is a tritium/fiber-optic setup; no batteries, but the things are in the $400-600 range, depending upon variant. They come in 7, 9, and 13MOA dots of amber or red. I don't know of anything of lesser expense that doesn't take a battery of some sort.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I do not believe that dog hunts...

If you are hell bent on a "pistol" then use a pistol. The RMR or Delta Point on a Glock might be a good play for you... Only down side is that you will need to go through the awful chore of changing your battery annually...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    Where is "here"?

Puerto Rico

That was what's called a joke.
    I know...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Just checked this out:

From a 10 inch pistol your velocity will not be that high and even less from a 7.5 inch one. I imagine you will get 2300 fps from a 10 inch gun.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast