Thread: 6x45mm w/ 60gr. bullets vs. 5.56 w/60gr.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

6x45mm w/ 60gr. bullets vs. 5.56 w/60gr.

i need some of you guys input on this...would there be a significant enough gain to justify spending the cash on a barrel and higher bullet prices???

there was a thread about bigger dia. doing more damage, but how much more...i'm thinking not much....

Feedback Score
    I'd think the 7mm Whisper would be a viable cartridge. Take a look at SSK Industries the creator of the whisper series of cartridges to see the advantages of them.
    Pat

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i'll be honest....the simplicity of making 6x45 and the avaliabilty of brass was a turn on for me. im a 68 shooter so a 7whisper wouldn'd get my rocks off. jst wondering if the trade off of having to buy another barrel and shooting more expensive bullets would be worth it...proly not cuz for the $300 i'd have to spend up front to get into it would be higher then jst buying some 60gr. hp bullets for 5.56...

OPINIONS?????

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I use the 6x45 to shoot heavier bullets of 80-90 grs. I used one on deer in the past and put together a new one to tryout this year. If you're ONLY going to use it on lighter bullets I don't see the point.

Sierra's reloading edition V shows a 60 grain BTHP .223 Remington using Hodgdon H-335 at 2950 fps. A 60 grain BTHP 6mm 6x45 with the same powder is 3200 fps. Not much of a difference.

With 80 grain bullets and using H-335 the .223 is 2400 fps versus 2900 fps for the 6x45. The heavier bullets is where the 6x45 earns it's keep as there are a plethora, si a plethora, of bullets in the 80-100 grain range for the 6mm. I've had good performance from 85 grain bullets in mine.
    Last edited by xrayoneone; 10-25-10 at 22:24.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
    i'll be honest....the simplicity of making 6x45 and the avaliabilty of brass was a turn on for me. im a 68 shooter so a 7whisper wouldn'd get my rocks off. jst wondering if the trade off of having to buy another barrel and shooting more expensive bullets would be worth it...proly not cuz for the $300 i'd have to spend up front to get into it would be higher then jst buying some 60gr. hp bullets for 5.56...

OPINIONS?????

I see it as a step up over the 5.56, with the heavier bullets and being able to fit them (COAL) into a regular magazine. Since you shoot 6.8, having the same weight in a smaller diameter projectile will be great on thin skinned game like varmints and deer. Hogs do not like this caliber either from my experience.

I say, if you own a 5.56, don't worry about it. Today's powders though, if you do not own a 5.56, I say get on the x45 bandwagon and enjoy. The flatter characteristics afforded from the BCs of the 6mm bullets, along with today's powders allow for higher velocities than previously thought of, longer ranges, and retained energy for performing as designed. Game kings are primarily the top of my category for fur friendly projectiles, as well as Barnes TSX and Nosler BT projectiles for thicker skinned game. Keep us updated... if you need a good resource for the 6x45mm barrel or a complete upper receiver, let me know. Barrels I can get, along with headspaced bolts, and upper receivers are handy as well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayoneone View Post
    I use the 6x45 to shoot heavier bullets of 80-90 grs. I used one on deer in the past and put together a new one to tryout this year. If you're ONLY going to use it on lighter bullets I don't see the point.

Sierra's reloading edition V shows a 60 grain BTHP .223 Remington using Hodgdon H-335 at 2950 fps. A 60 grain BTHP 6mm 6x45 with the same powder is 3200 fps. Not much of a difference.

With 80 grain bullets and using H-335 the .223 is 2400 fps versus 2900 fps for the 6x45. The heavier bullets is where the 6x45 earns it's keep as there are a plethora, si a plethora, of bullets in the 80-100 grain range for the 6mm. I've had good performance from 85 grain bullets in mine.

Do you have a picture of your 6x45? Whom did you purchase the upper or barrel from if you do not mind me asking?