Thread: SCAR as precision rifle?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

SCAR as precision rifle?

Any thoughts on this?

FNH USA SSR

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The reviews I have read have been pretty positive so far. Most users of the 17S (in just about every config.) are saying good things.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have no experience with the 7.62 SCARs, but my box-stock 16s with a chrome lined barrel is as accurate as any semi-auto I've ever fired. With a longer receiver or PWS rail extensions, I can see it excelling in the SPR role.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    The MK17 is capable of surprising accuracy even with its relatively thin barrel. The Mk20 looks to have a thicker barrel and possibly other tweaks so I would expect it to shoot very well.

Feedback Score
    i sighted in a friend's 4x ACOG and SCAR light from a bench this summer. I was surprised how well it shot. I was expecting much worse. Haven't even got to hold the heavy yet, but am looking forward to it.

From the pictures, that stock looks REALLY short. Even with the extended butt, it looks too short, and that thing looks like it would hang on everything. It also looks unbalanced. Balance is imho even more important in precision guns than in run 'n gun carbines. (yeah it doesn't matter shooting from your belly, but try holding on a target from sitting or kneeling for 5 minutes with a gun that's barrel-heavy, suppressed, or too light in the ass)

I like using either a bean bag or monopod under the stock when shooting prone, and it's not clear but doesn't look possible to do either.

308win from a 20" bbl isn't a fantastic recipe for "1000 yards and beyond" as advertised on the link you provided.

Not sure if it's internet legend or has some basis in reality, but I've heard repeatedly that SCARs are very rough on optics (frequently breaking high quality ones). If that's true, I'd be very hesitant to put one of my USO or S&Bs on that gun.

all that said, i've heard great things and am excited about it. hope it works out for them

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That with a standard stock, 16in barrel, Elcan Specter DR 7.62, Battle Comp BABC, and a AFG is what I want. As said, I'd just be happy with the standard 17S with the PWS extention.

Feedback Score
    I'd say the factory trigger is the limiting factor in the accuracy department for my 16S. It is about 0.5-1 lb heavier than the factory trigger on my Colt 6920s.

Feedback Score
    The SCAR's are pretty good at beating up optics. But not the high quality optics. They beat up, and cause zero loss in the EOTech's, Elcan Specter DR's, and others that cannot withstand the added recoil impulse transfered to the receiver. Nightforce and Leupold both have scopes in the field on Mk17's, and are holding up just fine.

Stock Mk17's are capable of sub-MOA accuracy out to 1000 yards, which is why a SSR variant was envisioned, and developed.....to see just how accurate the platform could be made. The Mk20SSR will have an improved fire control system(match trigger), no full auto option, and enough rail space to accomodate the accessories needed by a sniper for long range day/night engagements. There is already a fixed stock available for those who prefer it over a folding stock, and can replace the SSR stock if so desired.

In most units it is designed to be fielded as a Support weapon, and will not necessarily replace the Mk11 or M110 as the primary 7.62 rifle. Time will tell, and each unit fielding the Mk20 will certainly have a say in whether or not it replaces existing rifles.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    There is already a fixed stock available for those who prefer it over a folding stock, and can replace the SSR stock if so desired.
    Got a picture?

Feedback Score
    It is identical to the folding stock, except that it does not fold. And there is not a hinge for it to fold. Everything else, cheek piece, LOP adjustment, etc. is the same.

There is a pic in the SCAR picture thread of a 16S SBR in Desert DigiCam with a fixed stock on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast