Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Vickers Tactical 3-Day Advanced Combat Handgun Class–Oct 22-24, 2010–Moyock,NC

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Just to add a little to what was said previously...

This was by far the best class I have been fortunate enough to run and by far the best group of shooters gathered on one range that I have ever witnessed. They were all not only great shooters but great people to train with. It was great to see Larry have to raise the bar for the class and push us out of our comfort zones. That said as the bar was raised the level of shooting raised with it. As was mentioned everyone rose with the tide....

Once again Larry showed why he is IMHO the premier trainer in the industry. His standards for accuracy and his style of teaching allows you to constantly learn, but it also constantly pushes you out of your comfort zone. We were shooting small bulls and out of the black was simply a no go and reason for shame regardless of the distance you were shooting from...

I really cant stress enough the caliber of men in this class not only as shooters but as men and professionals. The LE in this class was by far the best I have ever encountered on a range or class. These guys train and it really showed. IMHO they are to be emulated by all of their peers not just as shooters but as true professionals.

The Blackwater range really allowed us to do a lot of great stuff with not only bulls but steel racks and moving steel. There were some guys who were like f-ing machine gunners and it was great to watch.

I cant say enough positive things about this class as it was outstanding from top to bottom. Larry was outstanding and at the top of his game. The student body which consisted of industry professionals, face shooters, LE and civilians were top notch. Larry's humor is something that cant be stressed enough and not only because he is just plain funny as shit but because his style allows you to relax and perform to your potential which is something that should not be over looked. We had teams that consisted of "Team America **** ya" "Laser Jet repair men" and "Sponge Bob" and every team was dialed in... Team America rocked several stages and was strong from top to bottom.

It was great to see a lot of familiar faces but even more impressive is the strides these shooter have made over the last several years. They have embarked on a journey and you can tell that they are putting in the work that it takes to shoot at the level that they were shooting at. As was mentioned Paul shot like a beast but others also really shined, JW running new pistols shot like a beast and Lil B also shot extremely well, especially factoring in his arm which he never once mentioned. Shawn L and Jim D (Coolbreeze) also really shot extremely well and really brought their a game. There were no excuses. Period. This class realy manned the **** up!

I want to thank Larry for what turned out to be an incredible class that far exceeded my expectations and allowed me to leave a better shooter.

For those of you who have not taken a class with Larry.... DO IT! You have the chance to train with the best out there. Don't let that chance pass you by.

Some pics:
    Larry rocking the Atomic Dog holster

Last edited by d90king; 10-26-10 at 08:25.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    It was really good meeting you guys. Thanks for keeping me laughing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’m not sure what I can add to the AAR’s already written up about this class, but I’ll attempt it anyway.

I’m not a gunfighter, but I have been through enough training over the years that I can recognize superb training when I see it. This course is, without question, the single best pistol skills course I’ve ever attended. I don’t make that statement lightly. It was a superb course for a number of reasons:

1. The instructor: I’ve written previously on the merits of training with Mr. Vickers, but much of it bears repeating. He’s a phenomenal instructor with such a thorough command of the material that he can explain it in dozens of different ways. Beyond that, he’s actually taken the time to develop a number of drills and teaching tools that allow just about anyone north of a room temperature IQ to grasp critical concepts sufficiently to make an instant difference in their performance. That isn’t easy. LAV just makes it look easy. Combine extraordinary skill as an instructor with a personable and generous demeanor and a good sense of humor, and you have the foundation of an excellent training experience.

2. The facility: The U.S. Training Center is a world class facility with excellent support. While the weather was generally very pleasant, those like myself who have significant albino ancestry can still appreciate the benefits of a covered range. Training is always easier when you aren’t sunburned or wet. The target systems, movers, and plate racks gave a talented instructor the ability to challenge the students in a number of novel ways. The hospitality of the USTC was greatly appreciated.

3. The students: My fellow students exhibited an extremely high level of skill, were extremely eager to learn, and generally had an excellent attitude about the class and on helping out with the usual range chores. This made class flow more smoothly and allowed the pace to be set at a level that challenged even the most skilled shooters in the class. LAV stated that this was the most skilled group of shooters he had ever had in an open enrollment class. Those who prevailed in competitions were usually the ones who made the fewest mistakes. Just about everyone in the class was capable of walking away with a win on any individual drill at any time. …and you knew it. To stand out in this group you had to be almost flawless. The knowledge that the guy next to you was a serious shooter drove you to dial in and perform.

All of those factors contributed to one of the most outstanding training experiences I’ve ever encountered. It was a privilege to be there.

I shot the course with my new P30 pistol equipped with Heinie sights. The more I shoot the P30 the more I like what it has to offer. It’s a fantastic handgun that has been superbly reliable for me so far, and it has exhibited spectacular accuracy to boot.

It was wonderful to spend some time on the range with some old friends and to make some new ones. I offer my most sincere appreciation to the instructor, to the folks at Grey Group, and to my fellow students for contributing to one of the chief highlights in my training history.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Best class I have ever taken. I was worried about my own skill level going into this class over the "Advanced" part of the class title. I earned a hat twice through getting a small ricochet to the head and on the 10 at 10 in 10 seconds. More details to follow.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It pains me that I missed this class, especially since it was in my backyard

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like a great class.

What were Larry's thoughts on the RMR-equipped Glock? Is he "kicking the tires" or does he believe it to be a viable long-term solution? Or is the jury still out?

Last edited by Boss Hogg; 10-26-10 at 15:18.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    Sounds like a great class.

What were Larry's thoughts on the RMR-equipped Glock? Is he "kicking the tires" or does he believe it to be a viable long-term solution? Or is the jury still out?

I took away that the jury was still out but it really shined in certain areas (low light, shooting on the move at a moving target and extreme long range shooting) Others can chime in with their takeaway...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc View Post
    It pains me that I missed this class, especially since it was in my backyard
    It pains me that we didn't get to hang out and do some training together.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Larry seemed pretty positive about it.

I think there is a learning curve to using a sighting system that is that high above where the sights usually are, and that you need to get relatively well aligned before you can even see the dot...but it was pretty sweet at night, and at distance. I didn't shoot on the move with it, but I can bet that's where it kicks the most ass.

If I ever have enough loot sitting around to be able to try one myself long term, I just might.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    It pains me that we didn't get to hang out and do some training together.
    Likewise but I have a feeling we'll sync up this spring. Maybe I'll head up your way for a Ken or Larry class.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast