Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 Hour Fitness wants my FINGERPRINT

Feedback Score

24 Hour Fitness wants my FINGERPRINT

As part of their new check-in system. In true American fashion, they are trying to eliminate jobs by switching to an automated check-in system at the front door.

They are using biometric (fingerprint) scanners at the front door now at my gym, and plan to go nationwide with this system.

QUESTION: Am I being overly paranoid about a corporation having my biometric data on file? What's next, DNA? As a 22+ year LEO, I have nothing to hide. My concern is the usual "What if the data is hacked and compromised"?

Should I be concerned, or am I being overly paranoid? After all, I guard my e-mail address and SSN, I think I am a little more protective of my biometric data.

Thoughts?
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    If you think that they will not either pass your fingerprint on when asked to or that they will not assemble a fingerprint database and then sell it, you are kidding yourself.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    As part of their new check-in system. In true American fashion, they are trying to eliminate jobs by switching to an automated check-in system at the front door.

They are using biometric (fingerprint) scanners at the front door now at my gym, and plan to go nationwide with this system.
    Are they trying to eliminate jobs or desensitize you? Your SS# was never intended as an ID # and now try to do anything without it. You can't get a safety deposit box at my BofA without utilizing a hand print. Biometric data, facial recognition (which is everywhere now), naked X-ray machines... 1984 and Big Brother's watching.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You could always just use another gym and not support them, but that wouldn't be good for post counts.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    You could always just use another gym and not support them, but that wouldn't be good for post counts.
    That IS a probability. I just want to put some feelers out to make sure I'm not just being paranoid.

The more that I think about it, I do not want ANY private corporations having any of my biometric data. Once it's digitized, I can only imagine what could be done with it should it fall into the wrong hands.

They will have an alternate way to check in.. That will include a state I.D.. I can go for that... Maybe.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    My indoor gun club does the same thing. They also run backgrounds on all members. The club is only open to non-members for two visits then they have to sign up or can't come back. It keeps the gang banger and other strange folks out of the club. I'm okay with it... Or maybe I've just be desensitized... At my work I also have to finger print to access specific materials and the computer system logs what I pull out of the stock machine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Do they want a whole set of fingerprints (all 10 fingers) or just have you set up your access with one finger? If they want the whole set then I'd be worried. If they want just one finger then you are probably being to paranoid.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    there is a provision at the 24 hour fitness that states you're not required to give your fingerprint for continued membership - your state photo ID will suffice.

tell them to f' themselves. I did.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/health_...dless_checkin/

Feedback Score
    I don't think its required. I'm still using my membership card to check in. All my buddies did it out of pure convenience but I just havent had the time to sit down with them for the 5-10mins to set it up. Havent been hassled or anything. I'll probably get it set up one day or another.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If it were me, I would go in, ask to see the manager, and inform him that I will be discontinuing my membership because of the biometric crap, and that I will do my best to disuade anyone who wants to join their gym not to do so.

like most things commercial, vote with your money.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast