Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: The next Washington shoot

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for taking the vids Mike. Really looking forward to the summer shoots.

Feedback Score

slow going on the uploads

Dial-up or satellite access only for the middle of the island so it takes me a while to load them. I'm looking at burning CD's to send out.

Last edited by GitmoSmoke; 02-28-11 at 15:57.

Feedback Score

Barricade Tactics

A quick question stemming from Saturday's drills that I hope is not too far afield for this thread...

Please bear in mind, I am not trying to knock anyone's technique or philosophy, rather I am curious what circumstance(s) dictate the appropriate action.

When using the VTAC style barricades we were encouraged to not crowd the cover and emphasis was placed on height over bore awareness (with some mixed results). In this "Nine Hole Rifle Drill" demo video, you can see the shooters actually placing their muzzles through the ports. I can think of a few reasons why the later would be a bad practice, however the credentials of the shooters in the demo are rather esteemed to say the least.

What situations justify the difference in technique? Range to target? Personal preference?
    Last edited by Peter Panzer; 02-28-11 at 18:15.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    It's all situation dependent. You can use the "hole" or whatever to stabilize your rifle for a longer shot or you can stay behind the hole and keep yourself concealed. For instance I might not want to stick my muzzle out a window during a CQB type engagement but if I'm in a compound shooting at people in another compound 200+ meters away I might rather use the side of the window sill to get a more stable shooting platform.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's all part of the GWX shooting method.
    BTW, who was asking about the 1 handed slide rack?... here it is https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55724

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Panzer View Post
    What situations justify the difference in technique? Range to target? Personal preference?
    Mkmckinley nailed it. It depends on the situation.

In the drill shown those guys were ringing steel at 100 yards. It would be very tough to pull that off and not brace on the barricade. But if you noticed, it took time and effort to retract the barrel through the port and push it through another. In a closer fight, say 10-50 yards it would be quicker to keep the barrel out of the ports and move from port to port. Or peek through the hole, make the shot, and duck back behind cover.

Also, if you stick your barrel through a window or some other opening, and there is a bad guy on the other side he can rip the rifle out of your hands or at least pull you off balance and maybe out the window.

My rules on it are simple: If it's close, say 50 yards and in, I probably won't need to brace so I won't stick my barrel past the cover. If it's a longer shot where I'll need to brace on the cover to make the shot, I'll want to know what's beyond the barrier before I stick my muzzle past the edge. If I'm reasonably sure it's safe, I'll push the muzzle past and brace. YMMV.

Remember also the intent of the drill on Saturday: to learn the importance of mechanical off set, and apply it to multiple positions like standing, squatting, roll over prone, etc. It wasn't a lesson in CQB or room clearing. I'm no where near skilled or experienced enough to teach anyone that.

Feedback Score
    GlockWRX and mkmckinley:

I suspected something along those lines and what each of you said makes plenty of sense. Thanks - as a new shooter, it helps me solidify concepts when I have a better sense of their underlying rationale and wider context.

Cliche as it sounds, one of my personal takeaways was underscoring the need for continued work on fundamental skills (including "ammo management"). Among my rookie challenges is the need to ingrain the level of instinctivness and good habits necessary to adapt fluidly as circumstances present themselves. How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

GlockWRX:

Thanks for the follow up in this thread. I really appreciated the tone you set on Saturday and your providing the building blocks for folks like me to take a step in the right direction.

Oh, and Mook, the ghost of Fred Rogers is going to exact its cold revenge upon you for the wreckless evil you have perpetrated with that man's image.

Feedback Score
    Looks like you had a great time! I am going to have to try one of these events the next time you have one. Rookie here.... Looking forward to learning more!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Panzer, somehow I kinda believe you.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718