Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The next Washington shoot

Feedback Score

New Ammo restriction

Gentlemen,
    The club has banned the use of steel jacketed or steel core ammuntion. Thought I should get this out so anyone comming for the Feb 26 shoot can plan ahead. Steel cased is fine, but if a magnet sticks to the bullet we won't be able to use it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GitmoSmoke View Post
    Gentlemen,
    The club has banned the use of steel jacketed or steel core ammuntion. Thought I should get this out so anyone comming for the Feb 26 shoot can plan ahead. Steel cased is fine, but if a magnet sticks to the bullet we won't be able to use it.
    FML.

Thanks for the heads up...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    Will be keeping my eye on this thread here.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would love to attend this if I am not out of town training. I'll be watching this thread.
    Last edited by J8127; 12-20-10 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    This looks like an interesting opportunity. I have a few questions, but perhaps we are still too far out on the calendar before some of this information can be provided, nevertheless...

Is there a specific contact I need to get in touch with to arrange participation (GitmoSmoke) or is posting in this thread sufficient? Let me know as I would be glad to help with set up/take down. Also, I can bring plenty of AR-15 zeroing and 25 yard handgun targets should they be needed.

Has an approximate round count carbine/handgun been established?

If possible, I would like to know more about what the group would like to see by way of a rough agenda for the day. I see GlockWRX submitted one on 10.26.2010, which is a great start. I suspect it's a good idea to keep things flexible, however a loose plan, based on what folks are interested in, might help us get the most out of our time.

Without making things too much like a "class," I would be interested in spending the day reinforcing the fundamentals and running drills/courses of fire not typically permitted on a public range (barricade use, movement, transition to secondary, etc.). Those of you who attended the first get together obviously have a better sense of what is feasible given the likely number of shooters to attend and the skill levels represented.

Given interest/time, we might also add at the beginning...

Warm-ups/basics (10m-25m):
    • familiarization with holdover
    • "ready-ups"
    • double taps
    • hammers

My thanks to those of you who have already put time, thought and effort into making this happen!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Here's some ideas based on the previous meets we've done:

Basic range / safety brief
    Introductions
    Check zeros / rezero at 50yds
    10yd up / down drills (hold over)
    10yd transition drills
    25yd up / down drills
    Basic barrier drill with movement
    LUNCH BREAK
    CCW practice / secondary practice
    More complex barrier drills with movement
    25yd move to contact drill (shooting while moving toward threat)

In previous meets we've had a certain amount of flexibility and kept a fairly relaxed environment with "big boy rules", hopefully we can keep it that way. I'll be bringing my V93 (HK33 clone) for others to try out and I'm sure others will plenty for Show And Tell...

Hopefully bkb0000 can make it, he's pretty good at running these but otherwise I'm sure Mook and GlockWRX should keep things smokin'.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Those are great ideas, and covers a lot of what I had in my head. These fun shoots fill a couple of different roles for us. One, it's fun. Two, it's a chance to practice stuff we can't on the regular static range. Three, it's an opportunity to bring in new shooters.

I think spending the first part of the day getting warmed up and re-familiarized with the basics is a great prelude to some of the more advanced stuff we do later in the day. Both to ingrain good habits in the more experienced shooters, and get the newer folks up to speed.

I made up a couple of VTAC-style barricades I'm going to bring. I also managed to score an EAG steel target we can use with Gitmo's permission, and if all you guys pinkie-swear not to light it up with steel core or AP ammo.

Feedback Score
    Here's some ideas based on the previous meets we've done...
    In previous meets we've had a certain amount of flexibility and kept a fairly relaxed environment with "big boy rules", hopefully we can keep it that way.
    I think spending the first part of the day getting warmed up and re-familiarized with the basics is a great prelude to some of the more advanced stuff we do later in the day.
    This sounds great. Thank you both for the added context.

Feedback Score

Steel targets and AP ammo

GlockWRX,
    You won't have to worry about your steel target getting shot up at the shoot. One reason is the club has banned the use of steel core or steel jacketed ammo. Second reason is we don't allow outside steel targets. I haved a couple of the barricades made up from the plans you sent to me, and we now have a door in a frame to use as a prop also.
    Peter Panzer,
    200 rounds for the handgun and 400 for carbine will be more than enough. We mainly use IDPA style targets along with speciality targets for certain drills, like dot torture. Feel free to bring any cardboard or paper targets you want.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Talking

Habla el diablo. I've been gettin in the zone for this shoot over the past couple of days. Can't wait to see what we make of it. Back to work.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast