Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New/First House...Need Gun Stuff

Feedback Score
    I would get a nice work bench, table vise, and a craftsman tool box for storing jags, patches, etc..

Me personally I really like the Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rods. I used the J.Dewey cleaning rods before and I just don't like the extra flex it has when going down a bore. As for the Otis kit... I used it ever since it came out and was impressed but now I freaking hate it! It's a good field/emergency kit but not an kit I would use to clean my firearms after the range.

As for a safe... There is so many options... I been researching so many safes my brain is ready to explode!!! You have to look at warranty, cost, fire rating, and value of your guns. Is it worth the money to spend 9000 on a safe to store a couple of 10/22's and other guns that you can easily replace. Expensive safes do nothing but give you credit on this forum just to say that you have one. What you want a safe to do is to prevent a lock out (most common situation), deter a thief, keep the kids out, be able to hold inside temp if your house catches fire, and the one that everyone ignores.... WATER.... There is no way you can avoid it because most safe companies don't build them to stop water. You might question why water? Cause if your house ever catches fire and your safe is in a basement or near the fire source the fire department will spray tens and thousands of gallons of water onto that nice shiny 9000 safe. So my word of advice to you, is to make sure that you have good home owners insurance to COVER all your guns. Get a decent safe to your liking that will keep thieves, kids, raccons, donkeys, and all of the above out of your toys.
    Last edited by davehk; 02-17-11 at 21:28.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Unless you spend huge money fire rated safes are a waste they don't protect long enough for the length/temperature a house fire is likely to produce. I don't think anyone is trying to impress you with their safes. The first reason I have a safe is to protect my guns from unauthorized hands the second is protection against theft. I agree if you have a few $100 guns get some gun locks. If you have a significant collection then protect it as You see fit. I have a lower end AmSec safe. I wish I had a more substantial safe and will some day. Its all about your comfort level and priorities.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    At home I use coated rods. For my range bag I have a OTIS kit. Both get the job done.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Let's pretend I know absolutely nothing about gun cleaning/maintenance. If you were starting from scratch, what would you get? Do you go the OTIS route? Just buy a nice Dewey rod and a bunch of brushes?

Also, now that I'm done saving for my house, I want to take some formal training. It seems like a good idea to take some cleaning/maintenance stuff with me to a class/competition. Is there a smaller field kit, or do you take the good stuff with you from home?

I'm concerned about using the segmented rod in any of my guns, but especially the Remington.

What's the goods? Thanks guys and great site (7 year ARFCOMMER)
    Check and see if there's an NRA Basic Pistol class in your area - they are usually a lot better than people give them credit for and they cover cleaning and maintenance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123