Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New/First House...Need Gun Stuff

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm gonna second a good gun safe. I have a collapsible table like you use for cookouts and yard sales or get you a good work bench. I use a craftsmen 3 drawer top chest to store cleaning tool and various other gun related tools. There are various type of gun maintenance stands that you can get as well. And I use the otis cleaning kit, but mainly because i got one issued for free.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cheap safes are better than nothing, but they're cheap. You might be better off claiming a closet instead. Put a solid door and deadbolt on the closet door and keep it low-key. Any BG determined enough to bust through the drywall or door frame will rip open a cheap gun safe just as quickly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    First off, you'll need a proper MAN CAVE to do your gun stuff. I'd set aside an area in the garage or the den or something, so that you won't ever have to clean guns on the living room floor again

My old standbys are: Eezox, Kroil, Ballistol, foaming bore cleaner, Mobil 1, and grease.
    Or the dining room table. Your wife probably won't appreciate the cloudy spots bore cleaner makes on the finish. Trust me on this.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i love bore snakes for handguns. For rifles, (especially hunting rifles or anything you'd consider "precision") a good one piece steel cleaning rod is the way to go. For AR's and AK's with chromed bores a bore snake is a good way to go though.

if there's any gear at work that you find makes working on your guns easier, i'd pick that up too. You probably get a nice discount on accessories there right?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stifled View Post
    Whatever you do, claim a room and fill it with your stuff as quickly as possible. Once it is a firmly established fact that it is your room to do with as you please, set it up however you want. If you leave an unused room unclaimed or unused long enough, it will end up being a "sitting room" or a "formal living room" or some other made-up nonsense.
    QFT!

For safes, if you decide to save for a high quality one, take a peek at the Pendleton safes. It's what I'm saving for.

http://www.pendletonsafes.com/

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I've not seen one in person but I like the idea of the Pendelton.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Otis all the way, I love their field kit. Also use Hoppes oil wise never go wrong.

Feedback Score
    I'd get bore snakes for most of those and call it good. maybe a good coated rod for the rifles.

I own all of them including the otis system. That thing is cool looking and seemed like a good thing to throw in the bad but it's a huge PITA to use. tips unscrew, threading it down bores etc. it's OK but not easy to do.

bore snakes basically do the same thing a lot easier. some good gun cleaner, lubricant, bore snakes and maybe the coated rod and you're good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That Pendleton safe is pretty cool - like a lazy susan of gun safes. I went the more conventional route however and picked up a Liberty Franklin. Decent price, and its really aesthetically pleasing - its a great center piece for my man-room.
    "Soldier, you need to turn your ACOG off before the batteries die." - PMI Instructor, subject matter expert

Feedback Score
    The longer I have been shooting, the less I find a need to be anally retentive about cleaning; if I owned your weapons, what I would do is as follows:

AR15 -- For a carbine, keep it wet with lube; spend 15 min cleaning every 5000 rds or so.
    .308 Remington Bolt gun (Precision) -- Get a good Dewey rod, bore guide, proper tip, and patches; clean it after every practice session.
    12ga shotgun & .410 shotgun -- They're shotguns, wipe em down and run a swab through them occasionally.
    .22lr -- It's a .22, clean it if you want.
    9mm Glock -- They need to be cleaned??? Seriously, while I keep a duty/carry Glock fairly clean, the training ones go many thousands of rounds without cleaning.
    1911 45ACP -- Keep them lubed; strip them and quickly clean them every 1500-2500 rounds or so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast