Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New DD 14.5" Mid-Length Setup

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New DD 14.5" Mid-Length Setup

A couple of weeks ago I heard that Tommy @ SmartGunner.com was offering an almost unheard of deal on brand new Daniel Defense Upper groups, and seeing how I was in the market for a new 14.5" setup I contacted him to see what he could do for me. I ended up ordering a DD 14.5" CHF LW Mid-Length barrel with a DD 12" Lite rail and a pinned Phanton flash hider to finish everything off. I will say that the price was incredible and his customer service was great. The guys at Daniel Defense kept me in the loop with the build progress since they actually make these at their facility. It came in yesterday and needless to say I'm speechless. The finish and fit are top notch and everything about it just oozes with quality. The job Daniel Defense did on the flash hider pinning is amazing, so much so that you really have to look for the pin and weld marks.

I'll have a full range report soon. My aimpoint T-1 and Troy flip up sights should be here by Friday so I plan on sighting everything in this weekend. I couldn't decide between the T-1 or a Eotech XPS2-0...I hope I made the right choice with the T-1.

Enough with the talk though, here's the specs and pics:

Lower Specs:
    Mega "Gator" Forged Lower
    Daniel Defense LPK
    Magpul MOE Trigger Guard
    Magpul MOE Grip
    Magpul ACS stock
    Mil-Spec buffer tube assembly
    Spike's ST-T2 buffer

Upper Specs:
    Daniel Defense 14.5" CHF LW Mid-Length Barrel
    Daniel Defense 12" LITE Rail
    Pinned YHM Phantom Flash Hider
    Daniel Defense BCG
    BCM Gunfighter CH

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice looking rifle. Im pretty sure you made the right choice on the Aimpoint Micro. I dont own one but my buddy does and it is a sweet site.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First of all, I like this build quite a bit. How much does it weigh? It looks like it'll be light, at least if you get rid of all those rail covers

The main advantage an Aimpoint has over an EOTech is IMO the battery life. While hundreds of hours is a lot with the EOTech, you can leave an Aimpoint on for years. So for a HD (or patrol, combat, etc) gun, you can turn the thing on and leave it on and just change the batteries once a year--you know, to be safe. I don't know if I'd be changing an Aimpoint Comp series for a Micro, though... unless the one on that upper is from another gun or one of the lookalikes, of course.

Congrats on a nice build!

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle! Good choice with the T-1 and Troy flip up sight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stifled View Post
    First of all, I like this build quite a bit. How much does it weigh? It looks like it'll be light, at least if you get rid of all those rail covers

The main advantage an Aimpoint has over an EOTech is IMO the battery life. While hundreds of hours is a lot with the EOTech, you can leave an Aimpoint on for years. So for a HD (or patrol, combat, etc) gun, you can turn the thing on and leave it on and just change the batteries once a year--you know, to be safe. I don't know if I'd be changing an Aimpoint Comp series for a Micro, though... unless the one on that upper is from another gun or one of the lookalikes, of course.

Congrats on a nice build!
    I haven't had time to break out the scale yet, but I plan on doing that tonight. I may have gone a little overkill on the XTM rail covers, but I want to make sure the rails stay in good shape for years to come. They really don't add much weight and the grip is actually pretty nice.

The RDS pictured is a PA M3 in the standard high mount. I wanted to put a few rounds downrange before my aimpoint came in and it was just sitting on the shelf collecting dust. It works well for the price I paid and works perfect on the M&P 15-22 I bought it for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was just giving you a hard time about the rail covers I have some guns with lots of rail covers as well, because that's what works well for those particular handguards. I tend to go with the ladder style covers like you have behind your AFG, mainly to keep clothing and gear from getting snagged.

If you like how the RDS on there now works, just wait until you get the T-1 going! Can't blame you wanting to just get the thing shot, I'm the same way.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Grant's building me a DD 14.5" LW Middy as well - yours looks fantastic.

Can't wait to see the final pictures with the T1 and TROYs on there, you'll have a complete awesome complement.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Thumbs up

Very nice build! I would also like to know how much both the upper and complete rifle weight. Please let us know when you get a chance.

How long was the wait from the time you placed the order with Tommy till you received the upper?

Thanks

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I like the upper. I ordered the exact same upper a little over a week ago from same place.

I had a really hard time deciding between the eotech and aimpoint also. I went a different direction with the xps 2-0 which I got yesterday with a two cases of ammo to test the upper. Only thing that barely tipped me to the eotech is I grew up in Michigan so decided to go that route this time. I plan on getting a T1 at some point thou just to see whats best for me.

We'll have to compare notes once we both get some rounds downrange.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I just ordered the exact same thing myself except with a Battlecomp 1.5. It was simply and offer I couldn't refuse.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast