Thread: ??? re STI's 2011's models

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)

??? re STI's 2011's models

Now I'm not a 1911 newbie I have a couple Baer single stacks and I recently (last year) got into STI's 2011's . BUT I got them in 9mm. I really like the Eagle in 9 and was thinking of getting a 5" Tactical. I am thinking of getting this one in 45acp.vs another 9.
    So my question is are the 45's as reliable as say the 9's in the 2011 platform? I've heard varied and intermittent things about the 40 ?
    Appreciate any input ........

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The 9 and 40's are much more reliable then the 45 2011's. I saw a lot of 45 2011's that needed work; also the mags don't work quite as well as the other calibers. This was as of the end of '09, so they might have improved the design.....

9 and 40 also have more quality mag options in the aftermarket world due to USPSA/IPSC.

Feedback Score
    The double stack guns, no matter the caliber, often have magazine issues. I would not run one for duty/defense purpsoses. Period.

Some issues are related to using thinner than standard followers to allow an extra round in the mag. The springs need to be changed out more often, and it can help for the top coil in the spring to be bent upward slightly at the forward end to prevent the cartridges from nose-diving in the magazine.

There can also be fitting issues with the mag catch, and the magazines.

If you use an entended ejector, overinserting the mags (esp the 140mm and 170mm) can bend/break it.

I prefer SVI mags to STI mags. They are harder to get, and cost more, but the quality is better in my experience.

The above is based on my running a SVI .40 since about 1998, and two STI 9mms since about 2006. All three guns are the double stack configuration.

The .45 acp double stack guns are not seen nearly as much (I've never seen one in person), so I can't advise of any particular issues they may have, except that they potentially have the mag issues I discussed above.

Would suggest that if you buy a STI, get it from Dave Dawson (DawsonPrecision.com) and have him go through the gun prior to shipping it to you, and but a set of a set of magazines at the same time and have him fit the mags.

Good luck with your decision.