Thread: LMT Defender 2000 lower Selector switch problems

Feedback Score

LMT Defender 2000 lower Selector switch problems

I went to the range today with the rifle I plan on taking a course this weekend and my selector switch went from a safe/semi too Safe/Semi/Safe. This is not normal this changed today. Should I be concerned or let it be.

Gun still shot after I noticed and naturally semi only.

Its not the detent pin or spring already checked. Could the actual selector be bad???

Info on the gun: LMT upper and lower. The lower is a factory built lower with the Ambi safty and sopmod stock. I did Change the grip to a miad grip but used the same pin and spring.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advanced.

Rob

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You probably had the detent fall out when you were swapping out the grip.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Problem started a while after switching the grip, not the case.

The pin that sits ontop of the spring is still there. I know this because I thought the same thing or it was crushed broken.

Rob

Feedback Score
    I've got a couple of MIAD grips that I think have the hole for the spring drilled a little too deep. The spring drops down too much causing the detent to offer very little resistance to the selector moving. Feels like the selector is REALLY broken in.

Any chance that might be part of the problem?

Feedback Score
    That is a strong possiblty!!

Rob

Feedback Score
    I'm still contemplating whether to fix it and how. Safety actuation is still there but not very positive.

I was thinking about dropping an old blue extractor spring insert into the bottom of the spring well, and seeing if that raises the spring and detent enough to positively engage the selector...may raise it too much but I dont really want something I cant remove and I dont want to stretch the spring either.

Anybody else offer up some suggestions?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glklvr View Post
    I'm still contemplating whether to fix it and how. Safety actuation is still there but not very positive.

I was thinking about dropping an old blue extractor spring insert into the bottom of the spring well, and seeing if that raises the spring and detent enough to positively engage the selector...may raise it too much but I dont really want something I cant remove and I dont want to stretch the spring either.

Anybody else offer up some suggestions?
    Maybe use something a little more solid to drop into the grip, like a takedown pin detent or and old ejector (the ejector is pretty long, if you have to you could trim the spring some). You want the safety to positively click into each position and not possibly shift around in the lower rendering inoperable if this is a gun you may protect yourself with.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Maybe use something a little more solid to drop into the grip, like a takedown pin detent or and old ejector (the ejector is pretty long, if you have to you could trim the spring some). You want the safety to positively click into each position and not possibly shift around in the lower rendering inoperable if this is a gun you may protect yourself with.

Hmmm. I like the detent idea. I have a couple of extra, and when one goes flying off I'll know where a spare is.