Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Series 70 (or GI) firing pin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    thank you for that - I ordered a couple from Numrich as above, but I'd rather have one I know the provenance of.

any galling problems? Have you pencil-tested it? How many rounds?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    thank you for that - I ordered a couple from Numrich as above, but I'd rather have one I know the provenance of.

any galling problems? Have you pencil-tested it? How many rounds?

thanks
    I only pencil test after I clean it, which happens ... well . . . but I have done it in the past.

I had an Ed Brown grip safety installed and after that, I had a misfire about once every magazine when shooting strong hand or weak hand only (although it was okay with a two hand grip). I thought, "better safe than sorry."

I can't find my old log book and my spreadsheet doesn't go back to the date when I had the grip safety installed. I can tell you that the gun has fired approximately 11,217 rounds total and the records I have are of the last 1362 rounds fired through the gun (zero malfunctions). I'd estimate that at least 9500 to 10000 of the total are from after I changed the grip safety and subsequently installed the firing pin.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    I only pencil test after I clean it, which happens ... well . . . but I have done it in the past.

I had an Ed Brown grip safety installed and after that, I had a misfire about once every magazine when shooting strong hand or weak hand only (although it was okay with a two hand grip). I thought, "better safe than sorry."

I can't find my old log book and my spreadsheet doesn't go back to the date when I had the grip safety installed. I can tell you that the gun has fired approximately 11,217 rounds total and the records I have are of the last 1362 rounds fired through the gun (zero malfunctions). I'd estimate that at least 9500 to 10000 of the total are from after I changed the grip safety and subsequently installed the firing pin.
    Sounds good to me. If you ever decide to clean it again could you let me know how it does on the test, and how the pin looks?

Feedback Score
    Sounds good to me. If you ever decide to clean it again could you let me know how it does on the test, and how the pin looks?

Will do!

In fact, if our paths cross at Boone Co. this summer, I'll pull the firing pin out of it and let you look at it. Bring a wet wipe for your hands, though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Actually, I found an old GI pin today and put it in, and it ran like a raped ape for 240 rounds. I disassembled it and observed no visible wear, and it appeared to launch a pencil just as high as the factory pin.

Looks like we have a winner.

Feedback Score
    Actually, I found an old GI pin today and put it in, and it ran like a raped ape for 240 rounds. I disassembled it and observed no visible wear, and it appeared to launch a pencil just as high as the factory pin.

Looks like we have a winner.
    There you have it!

Q: Did you do it just to avoid potential problems with the firing pin block, or did you have one that was causing misfires?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    There you have it!

Q: Did you do it just to avoid potential problems with the firing pin block, or did you have one that was causing misfires?
    I did it to avoid problems. It's a NIB used gun that I got very righteously. I hate the Swartz safety system, but I'm loath to remove safety parts.

I'm kinda ashamed to admit it, because this gun is nearly everything I think is a potential problem in a 1911 all rolled into one gun, but I really like the little S.O.B. it's an Ultra Carry II but in spite of that it's surprisingly accurate (I can hit a 4" plate at 40 yards with it more often than not) and has fired 625 rounds of ball, 200gr SWC, 200gr +P, 230gr Ranger, and more in the last three weeks with NO malfunctions. Once I hit 1000 rounds I may actually start carrying it once in a while. I do love my Warrior, but sometimes....

Feedback Score
    I'm kinda ashamed to admit it, because this gun is nearly everything I think is a potential problem in a 1911 all rolled into one gun, but I really like the little S.O.B. it's an Ultra Carry II but in spite of that it's surprisingly accurate (I can hit a 4" plate at 40 yards with it more often than not) and has fired 625 rounds of ball, 200gr SWC, 200gr +P, 230gr Ranger, and more in the last three weeks with NO malfunctions. Once I hit 1000 rounds I may actually start carrying it once in a while. I do love my Warrior, but sometimes....
    I had a similar experience with an original Kimber Compact model.

I tried to make it malfunction, and I couldn't. I did make a huge error with it, though. After I had it a while, I decided to replace the recoil spring since the little guns tend to wear them out a little more quickly. Since the barrel was four inches, I assumed (incorrectly) that it used the same spring as the Springfield Champion or Compact. My mistake made it short stroke occasionally, until I realized that it takes the same springs as the Springfield Ultra Compact or Colt's Officer's ACP. Once I fixed that mistake, it was again so reliable it was boring.

I wish the full-size 1911s that have crossed my path were as good!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12