Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you adjust your front sight till POA/POI is on at 100, that will mean the 200 on your sight is now 100. Viola!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlodi1911 View Post
    I k ow tho thread is as old as can be, so ill just ask an hope the best. I'm hoping for the 100 yrd and my Matech BUIS lowest setting is 200. Are these instructions on how to adjust the rear sight applicable for the MaTech BUIS as well or is there another scheme I should apply to get this particular rear sight set to zero at 100. I like the 100 yard due to my only concern should be hold over (and not under). Well, her's me wishing for a reply on a older than dirt thread. I'm just hoping enough people (like me) are referred to this thread tht I might find one person who an lens their guidance
    Due to front sight obscuration of small targets at distances past 100 meters, I recommend zeroing iron sights for 200 meters, unless the irons are going to be an infrequently used secondary sighting system for an optic. If it is a back up, I recommend having it set with the same zero as the primary, unless you are going to spend significant time on the irons to ingrain the different trajectory. If the irons are stand-alone I recommend zeroing them to maximize their built-in utility, which in this case would be a 200 meter zero.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Due to front sight obscuration of small targets at distances past 100 meters, I recommend zeroing iron sights for 200 meters, unless the irons are going to be an infrequently used secondary sighting system for an optic. If it is a back up, I recommend having it set with the same zero as the primary, unless you are going to spend significant time on the irons to ingrain the different trajectory. If the irons are stand-alone I recommend zeroing them to maximize their built-in utility, which in this case would be a 200 meter zero.

I agree with you 100%. I believe the 200 meter or 200 yard zero is a good all round zero. The bullet path does not leave the sight plane more than 2" from 8 yards to roughly 220 yards. With the 200 meter/yard zero, you can aim neck hold at 300 and get good COM hits. I zero the M1A in the same manner and have had good luck with it over the past 30+ years.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 01-01-13 at 21:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Our departments range only goes out to 50yds, so I have been using this thread to show our officers that they are not at any sort of disadvantage (and actually, I think, at a distinct advantage) by zeroing at 50yds, which is a pretty common perception. This thread is probably one of the most useful ones on the forum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    Our departments range only goes out to 50yds, so I have been using this thread to show our officers that they are not at any sort of disadvantage (and actually, I think, at a distinct advantage) by zeroing at 50yds, which is a pretty common perception. This thread is probably one of the most useful ones on the forum.
    Having a 50 yard range can limit you to what you can do, but you can still get a decent zero at that range. I had a 25 yard range at the district and had my officers shoot for POI at -1" at 25 yards. This is close to the 50/200 yard zero. I made friends with people at two of our local gun clubs, so we could use their facilities to qualify at 100 yards. Most of our people did not have to make any sight adjustment at 100 yards and those that did were only required to move the rear sight elevation/windage knobs 1 or 2 clicks at most.

Try contacting local gun clubs and ask about using their ranges to shoot longer distances. I have found that my local gun clubs are very supportive of law enforcement and military personnel.

I agree with you about this forum. There is a lot of good information available.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 01-04-13 at 09:02.

Feedback Score
    Very helpful and informative.

Feedback Score
    amazing, does this help in the pressures of battle?
    "And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do." -Christ Jesus, Luke 12

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories

Quote Originally Posted by leeradio13 View Post
    A well thought out zero certainly helps in a gunfight by simplifying decisions in certain envelopes of application.

Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Very helpful! Thank you for making it so clear to a noob. I can't wait to try your zeroing suggestions Molon. Just need some more ammo
    Last edited by guitarman008; 02-21-13 at 21:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leeradio13 View Post
    Yes it does.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast