Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training For Civilians?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Training For Civilians?

What are some recommendations you guys could give a newbie in terms of medical training?

I think civvy's should have a level of medical training for the same reason that one would take tactical firearms classes: police can't be every where at once. Neither can first responders. Especially out in the boondocks where I live.

I am currently CPR certified (big deal, right?)
    Where should I progress from there?

What are ya'll's thoughts on the subject?

(I worded this post the best that I could. I have a HUGE amount of respect for the expertise on this forum and if I come across as belligerent or disrespectful, that was NOT my intention. Thanks, guys!)
    ...A country boy can survive...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    you could try CERT - Citizens Emergency Response Team. this is set up to train and keep a cadre of volunteer first responders in the event of an emercency - tornado, earthquake, flood, etc...

along with the next level up of medical training, you get training on triage, fire suppression, disaster response, radio communication, etc.

my local Fire Dept gives this training free a couple times per year as well a refresher courses. definitely worth the time...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    EMT basic class
    i took mine for 600 dollars and it was 4 hours 2 evenings a week for 4 months or so. That will pretty much cover anything you can do on your own.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    First Aid or First Responder.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsgard View Post
    EMT basic class
    i took mine for 600 dollars and it was 4 hours 2 evenings a week for 4 months or so. That will pretty much cover anything you can do on your own.
    +1

Even if you don't plan on becoming an EMT, the EMT Basic Class (EMT-B) is a great first aid class. Probably an overkill as a first aid class but then you can't really have too much first aid training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergen...E2%80%93_basic

Many comunity colleges teach an EMT-B class also sometimes called EMT-A for Ambulance tech.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well, I've struggled with the same question. Not sure how much it'll help but I took this and it was truly outstanding:
    http://www.insightstraining.com/view...sp?courseID=11

I know some other places offer similiar courses. Here are the instructors credentials:
    Mike Shertz, MD has attended all InSights courses and multiple courses from DTI, Gunsite. He is a qualified Special Forces Medic and is certified by the US Army as a Combatives Instructor. He is a member of the International Wound Ballistics Association and the American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers. Mike has finished in fifth place or higher in nearly every NTI since 1997.

Mike is an instructor for Handgun, Rifle, Unarmed, Knife, and Tactical Emergency Medicine. He is a coach for Shotgun, Tactics, Handgun Retention, and Close Quarters. Mike serves as the Chief Medical Officer and leads a team of Tactical Medics for the Washington County, Oregon, SWAT team.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks guys!

I'll do some research into those ideas.

The main problem I had with the first aid class I took, and I suspect this may be a problem with many if not most civilian classes, is the lack of proper mindset. The instructor was like, "ok guys, all you gotta do to get the certification is complete this action." And we went through the procedure once. I felt like it was more like a math class than learning how to possibly save a person's life.

Especially since a recent incident where I thought I was going to have to help someone, (thank God someone from the nearby medical college was on the scene) I've been thinking alot about how to prepare myself for a situation where there are no professionals in the immediate area.
    ...A country boy can survive...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    A little bird told me to tell you guys to look for some new offerings for this type of training in the new year.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    http://www.magpuldynamics.com/training/medical.shtml

MD Tactical Operations.
    Medical.
    Private Citizens, LE, MIL
    Focused on life sustaining, trauma management skills for shooters in high risk environments, where the mission cannot be compromised.
    Last edited by J_Hernandez; 11-01-10 at 23:51.

Feedback Score
    Disregard
    Last edited by Decon; 11-03-10 at 21:55.
    Tin-The new fashion statement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast