Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron sights for my 870?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Iron sights for my 870?

My wonderful girlfriend bought me a brand new Remington 870 Express for Christmas this year and I'm starting to look for some upgrades. It came with just a bead at the end of the barrel but I'd like to upgrade it to a set of iron sights. I'm not really interested in putting any kind of optic (RDS) or anything like that on there, so having a rail installed isn't important to me. I found these Trijicon ghost ring sights ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...sting-_-109166 ) on Midway that are more or less what I'm looking for, however since I'm new to the 870, I wasn't sure if there was anything better/more affordable that you guys knew about. And in case it matters, I'm setting the shotgun up for home defense.
    Last edited by JSTICFRALL; 02-20-11 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am running thouse sight on my shotgun their great. If you look through the brownells cataloge their are some more options as well.

Feedback Score
    First off, kudos to the cool girlfriend Second, great question - I'm wanting to solve that particular sight conundrum myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    A discussion involving the gayest lubrication, pinkies, Popsicles, hammering balls and dripping guns, all in the same thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    I like living a life in which beer is an appetizer, the floor is just another shelf, and the world is my urinal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is your receiver already tapped for ghost rings?

If not, you'll have to do it yourself or send it in to a gun shop.

This is why my compromise with my express was to get a rifle sighted barrel (where both the rear and front sight are on the barrel). I'd prefer Ghost Rings, but can't lay out that kind of cash right now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Triji's are nice. They're basically the same as the Scattergun Technologies but cheaper. MMC also makes shotgun sights.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post
    Is your receiver already tapped for ghost rings?
    Unfortunately it's not. I figured if I got that set-up I'd just take it to the smith and have it drilled and tapped. I do have a drill press and a tap set though...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSTICFRALL
    Unfortunately it's not. I figured if I got that set-up I'd just take it to the smith and have it drilled and tapped. I do have a drill press and a tap set though...
    Ah, well then, sounds good. I was just making sure you weren't under the impression that they were drop-in.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of that style of ghost ring. I'm more comfortable with wide, eared, fully-adjustable rigs like LPA or Vang-Comp (although those are, unsurprisingly, quite a bit more expensive).
    Last edited by ChicagoTex; 02-20-11 at 15:47.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSTICFRALL View Post
    Go for it brother. It's pretty easy work and it doesn't take to long at all. The supplied adhesive came off pretty easy so I used some Loctite Weld the second time and it's still solid.
    Last edited by KCabbage; 02-20-11 at 16:46.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    For what its worth the front sight on the Trijicons just glues over the front beed.

BANG BANG
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 02-20-11 at 18:37.

Feedback Score
    Not a complete iron sight, but I put a xs big dot on the front of my 870 and it has worked well. Just glue (or jb weld) over the front bead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast