Thread: .300 Whisper help

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

.300 Whisper help

When I was younger and clueless, I ordered a rifle kit from Model 1 Sales in .300 Fireball. My object was to get an AR in .300 Whisper using Corbon ammo.

Well, needless to say, the chamber is not reamed properly for the heavier bullets. The 125 grn bullets work OK, but the 220 grainers get stuck in the rifling before the bolt is completely closed.

So I am wondering what the best route is. I don't have a ton of money, but is it better to buy a new barrel, a new reamer, or attempt to sell the entire upper and get an SSK upper (which would take a few years considering my other ongoing projects)?

As always, I appreciate youse guyses help on this stuff.

Feedback Score
    Noveske used to run 300 whisper barrel from time to time I would check with them to see when the next run is. They also use the correct fast twist rate for the heavier bullets.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Did you try to get M1S to look at it?

Do you reload or only use factory ammo? 300 BLK is going to be loaded to a shorter OAL with 220's so that might be an option. (check with M1S to see if 300 BLK will be safe to use in your barrel)

The rounds stack better in the 5.56 mag if the OAL of the bullet is set so the ogive diameter matches the .250" at the neck of a 5.56 case.

This 300 AAC BLACKOUT thread will be of interest.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=63569

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Right now I am just using Corbon ammo. I was planning on reloading when I bought it, but it has not been running great so I put the whole project on hold until now.

I have not contacted M1S. Their service was great back then, but their quality has me disappointed. I was planning on getting better parts to upgrade to something I can fully rely on and enjoy.

This .300 Blackout round has me very interested!!! I may have to sit tight on this to see how it all pans out. Todd, are you planning on doing an upper in this round?
    Last edited by High Tower; 10-29-10 at 15:09. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tower View Post
    Todd, are you planning on doing an upper in this round?
    Nevermind...I finally finished reading the rest of the other thread on the .300 BLK. I guess I know what I'm buying next. This is going to be awesome!

Feedback Score
    I tried a Model-1 Sales 300 Fireball barrel and I had a Sierra 220 round which would not chamber completely. When I forced the bolt handle back, the case pulled out and the bullet was stuck. Powder came out.

Companies need to realize that the SAAMI spec for 308 bullets allows for the bullet to be up to 0.3086 in diameter. That means if you try to be clever and make a 0.3085 throat for 'more accuracy' you are risking making an unreliable rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    I tried a Model-1 Sales 300 Fireball barrel and I had a Sierra 220 round which would not chamber completely. When I forced the bolt handle back, the case pulled out and the bullet was stuck. Powder came out.

Companies need to realize that the SAAMI spec for 308 bullets allows for the bullet to be up to 0.3086 in diameter. That means if you try to be clever and make a 0.3085 throat for 'more accuracy' you are risking making an unreliable rifle.

This ^^

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post

That is the same exact issue i was having. Thanks for passing the info on. I think i will just leave the rifle alone until i can get a noveske barrel or upper.