Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some help choosing Model 700

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I need some help choosing Model 700

O.k. I've been looking locally for a Remington 700. There are so many different models to choose from. I look at the main website and found a couple of models I like. Whats the best to start off with. I'll just be taking it to the range. Its not a field/service rifle. I'd like to get one that has a decent barrel out of the box. Upgrading could be in the future. One that looks good to me is the Model 700 SPS DM. I'm not into the stainless barrels. So anything black works for me. Well please give me some suggestions.

Brad
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I would stay away from the DM. From what I here Remington dropped it because of feeding problems. My 700 Police is a DM and the whole rifle was worked over by the 2112s at Precision Weapons at Quantico. The DM limits my options as far as magazine systems. I cannot just convert it back to a blind mag. I can convert it to a Badger bottom metal and their mags or use an Accuracy International stock and their magazine system.

Here's mine.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't know if Remington still makes it or not, but years ago I started out with a VLS (varmint laminate stock) model and upgraded as time and funds allowed. I started with a Leupold tactical mil-dot scope in Leupold rings, then relieved the stock to free-float the barrel and got a trigger job, then a Harris bi-pod, and last an HS precision stock. I wound up selling it when I moved to an area with no long-range shooting options so I don't even have pics anymore.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd opt for a Savage, personally.

Feedback Score
    I just bought a 700 SPS in 7mm rem mag. Nice gun! Mine has the internal magazine. What caliber are you looking for?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    gotm4,
    Thats the info I needed. I don't need to buy something that has to be worked over. But like I said I'm just shooting on the weekend. But overall has it been an decent rifle?

rob s
    I'll look into that model or one like it.

Thanks guys
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I just bought a 700 SPS in 7mm rem mag. Nice gun! Mine has the internal magazine. What caliber are you looking for?
    .308 is fine for me. I thought about a 7mm after using my buddy's the other day. I think I'm going to stick with the .308 unless someone points me in a different direction. I like the internal mag, but would not mind changing it out to a detachable box in the future.
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I'd opt for a Savage, personally.
    Savage isn't that bad. I haven't heard good or bad about them. I guess no news is good news
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    I ordered a 700 XCR Tactical in 308. I hope to get it in next week I will give you a range report when it comes in.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was looking at that model. Very nice. If you don't mind me asking how much and where did I get it from? That was the one with the stainless barrel?
    Dead men tell no tales!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast