Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AR Owner - GA

Feedback Score

New AR Owner - GA

I finally took the plunge and picked up an AR. My AR is nothing to brag about as I'm hoping to learn more about the platform before seeking anything high end or maybe not due to a limited budget. I have a C3 Defense Lower with DPMS parts kit, a complete DPMS A3 upper with 5.56 16" barrel, Magpul MOE Handguard, ATI Adj. Stock and a Tasco Red Dot. I've already picked up 6 mags and some ammo, but would like a few other necessities before making my first range outing (i.e. discreet carrying bag, sling and cleaning kit). I'm also hoping to invest in some decent optics soon or at least a detachable carry handle or buis.

In the meantime, I'm just browsing through the site for information and helpful suggestions. There seems to be plenty of good information here to keep me busy for a while (Thanks).

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    There is no need to spend yourself into oblivion before your first range trip. For a discreet carrying bag, sometimes I just use a beach towel.

Get yourself some Break Free CLP, or light viscosity full synthetic motor oil, lube the bolt carrier group properly, and go shoot. And shoot. And shoot. All positions, lots of different distances. Find out what you like about the gun and what you don't like. Oh, and you need a leaning rod, chamber brush, bore brush, cleaning solvent and patches. That's about it. Make sure to properly lube the gun about every 500 rounds.

As for a sling, skip it for now. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot.

The accessories are nice, but master the basics first and foremost.

If possible, sign up for a carbine class in your area. In the training section of this website there are some excellent trainers listed and I am sure you will have a great time and learn a lot at one of those courses.

The foregoing is a personal opinion.
    Last edited by 500grains; 11-01-10 at 22:00.

Feedback Score
    500grains: Thanks for the info, hoping to get some time in with it this weekend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depending on where you are in Ga there are some decent free, public ranges. I'm up in the Northeast corner and shoot about oncee a month over at Wilson Shoals WMR in Banks County.

Good luck with your rifle and enjoy shooting it.

Feedback Score
    I'm down in Henry Co. I'll definitely be on the lookout for free ranges.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    For discrete carry here is my el-cheapo solution:

Wrap the upper in a beach towel and place it in a folding camp-chair bag. I can easily fit a 20" A2 upper into one of them.

The lower will easily fit into a regular backpack(even with an A2 stock).

Its easy to carry both the backpack and chair bag discretely anywhere you go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    For discrete carry here is my el-cheapo solution:

Wrap the upper in a beach towel and place it in a folding camp-chair bag. I can easily fit a 20" A2 upper into one of them.

The lower will easily fit into a regular backpack(even with an A2 stock).

Its easy to carry both the backpack and chair bag discretely anywhere you go.
    Funny, that's what it's been stored in for the past couple weeks (chair bag). I do need to add something to pad it while being transported.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Like everyone else has said on here buy the accessories later or a little bit at a time you have the basics. Now just get that much needed trigger time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I concur about accessories. Just get out and shoot the weapon and enjoy. You will see what works for you and what you think could be improved. Congrats regardless.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    does the case have to be discreet? if not, this is one of the best deals on the planet for $19 through the end of the month.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...mber=939239907

also, you're close enough to me, and it's the giving season, PM me as I have some stuff that I'd like to "pay it forward" to a new shooter...
    never push a wrench...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast