Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lanterns; Propane or kerosene?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Lanterns; Propane or kerosene?

Folks:
    I am hoping for some input on my next larger prep purchase. If I/we ever experience any Bad Craziness, it is likely that I will Bug In as I will need to be close to my kids. And I also have no belief that the interstate road system around the area I live in west of Wash DC will be able to handle the large quantity of cars attempting to exfil from this area (9/11 was a mess here roads wise).

So I want to pick up a couple of lanterns, four sets of spare parts and a few hundred dollars worth of fuel. What is best ( i.e. cost, cost of fuel, reliability, ability to be field serviced). So propane (Coleman type) or a kerosene type.

Thanks for the input.
    Matt aka Big Pepsi

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kerosene lamps are dirt simple and can you can make your own wicks from cotton rags. Downside: they're not very bright, and they tend to soot up.

Gas lamps are super bright. They don't have to be propane, either (coleman stove fuel, for instance) Downside: mantles are a scarce commodity and they're fragile.

I'd probably consider both: mantle-based lanterns for short-term problems, and old fashioned wick-based lamps for serious TEOTWAWKI (or just for the ambiance of warm flickering light).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For general use, camping or outdoor activities you can't beat the easy packing and use of propane. For an emergency I like having a few old kerosene lanterns around. Google the ingredients of "lamp oil". In a pinch you can blend it yourself.

Feedback Score
    Perfect timing ! I've been starting to research oil lamps since our electricity goes out at least a few times throughout the winter.

I have a lot of gas camp lights and flashlights, but would rather not use up all my fuel/batteries.

Since I don't know a lot about oil lamps, I really don't know what to look for. I read somewhere that the better lamps are the older hurricane style (?).

I'm assuming that I would want at least two, one for each level of my house, but four lamps would probably be better to have on hand.

I looked at Aladdin's site, but damn they're expensive. I'm not going for a classic victorian look here.....just want something durable/dependable that puts off light.

So my main questions so far are:

1. Does anyone know what I should be looking for and where, when it comes to oil lamps?

2. Is there a known average burn rate that can help me figure out about how far a 5-gal can of Kerosene would last us?

3. Is there a known average life for the wicks if only used during emergency situations? I don't know if I need 1, 10, or 1,000 spares on hand to get us through a few days (week?) without power.

Thanks.

*Edit - I found a Coleman camp light that runs off unleaded gas.......I can't decide if that's brilliant or scary ?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...id=1015&brand=
    Last edited by 01tundra; 11-03-10 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    OK.....it didn't take me long to figure out that there's a big difference between typing "oil lamp" and "kerosene lantern" in google .

I found this Rothco lantern, that has good reviews. It appears to only use kerosene (no lamp oil), but I think for emergency use kerosene would be preferred due to availability anyways?

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-740-Ker.../dp/B000GP1ICS

Anyone own or have any experience with one of these?

The more I read about lanterns very similar to this one, I'd say if you put a new wick in you could switch over to lamp oil, it's all fuel oil at the end of the day.

*EDIT - I decide to go ahead and order a few, I'll report back on what I think about them.

Also heard good things about Dietz lanterns from here - http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=DL -and here - http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps_L..._all=&sort_by=
    Last edited by 01tundra; 11-03-10 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have seen some hand crank lanterns that look ok. Not as bright as a fuel one but unlimited elbow power.

Feedback Score
    Did anyone else see the "Best Defence Survival" episode (I think that it was the "Bug IN" one) where Janis (sp?) talked about using those solar walk way lights, scattered in your home to light areas after dark (could be placed outside during the day and then brought in). I liked the idea of no fuel and no open flame but questioned how many it would take to light up a given area...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    W.T. Kirkman lamps are excellent quality. Just bought two No. 2 Champions with reflecting hoods. Works with kerosene and lamp oil. Company has a great reputation. lanternnet.com Can also pick up rolls of wick from them. I bought two lanterns, (2) 33' rolls of wick, and two spare parts set; all for around $170. I bought all the lamp oil at Wally World for around $3.75/bottle.

I also bought a quality set(8) of solar lights at Lowes for approx. $95. For several months when I went to Wally World I picked up unscented pillar candles until I had a tub full. Bought 6 of the glass hurricane jars for the candles at $3 each. Went to the camping section and they carry a good hand crank light/radio/cell charger for $44; bought two. I will consider my lighting preps GTG when I add 4 more 33' rolls of wick, 50 more candles, and 20 rechargeable batteries for the solar lights. It's not like the candles will go bad and the lamp oil isn't so expensive that I can't rotate it out every several years. I just store it all in plastic bins in the basement. Every so often I bust out some candles for a little ambiance. Wife loves it and keeps her on board. Best Defense Survival viewing also helps. I guess you can say we were "lucky" to go through Lenny while living on Sint Maarten and Katrina in NOLA. She goes for prepping.
    Last edited by 6933; 11-03-10 at 14:36. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Right after I ordered the other lanterns I stummbled across the W.T. Kirkman No. 2 Champion with reflecting hood and couldn't resist ordering one, I like the classic look of it and have a great home for it up on my mantel .

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If there is a better lantern, I like to know about it, hopefully this thread will bring it out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast