Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you consider acceptable accuracy in home defense or SHTF situation?

Feedback Score

What would you consider acceptable accuracy in home defense or SHTF situation?

If this is in the wrong forum, then I apologize in advance.

I am new to shooting in general and the AR platform in particular. I have been practicing on bullseye type targets, but I have been wondering what is considered acceptable in a real world scenario when it comes to accuracy. I am using the word accuracy in the sense of how tight I can get my groups around my point of aim (I am not that great of a shot... yet!).

I suppose another way of asking would be the inverse: When does accuracy start to be considered unacceptable for a real world self defense scenario? Obviously, the tighter the groups around my point of aim the better, but realistically what should I be striving for? I may be answering my own question, but I would think it would be at least the average size of a head or torso, depending on what I would actually be aiming for in a real life situation.

Sorry if this sounds extremely ignorant. I just don't have any buddies who I am able to bounce these questions off of.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think you have two different situations. Home defense is generally considered very close. The other could be close or potentially a lot further.
    Anyway, it seems to me that you would want acceptable accuracy for longer shots. That will always translate into adequate close up accuracy.
    What do you think is acceptable? An inch group at 100 yard.. min 5 preferably 10 shots. That's benchrest territory.
    So, what's acceptable for you?
    Ten rounds, I'd think 3"-5"-8" groups would be pretty darned good especially with iron sights.
    JMO.

But, if you can, get your carbine tuned up and spend the money to take a carbine class or two from a good school/instructor. Your eyes will be opened a lot about shooting at paper vs. shooting in a simulated situation. Really.
    Last edited by g5m; 11-02-10 at 23:25.
    former cat herder

Feedback Score
    3-4 MOA with mil-spec factory ammo is the reasonable minimum assuming the shooter and optics are not the limiting factor.

Feedback Score

my 2 cents

I'll bite

As soon as you get your rifle zeroed from the bench (assuming you have all your fundamentals masterd) stand up, shoot standing.

I can only imagine that there will be no bench rests when you need them.

After you can hit your target well standing, start with different drills.

Baby steps, It wont come overnight. I'm living proof ( and i think most will agree with me on that point)

This is the point where I am, and because I do not know of the subject after this point, I'm going to leave it to the pros on here.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Most modern firearms perform better than the guy behind the trigger. Purchase a good gun and lots of ammo then take a training class on how to run it. You will soon find out what you need to know to make the combination work.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a.../m/70820522563
    This is a link to a thread titled "The need for Speed" over on LF. While it's geared mainly toward pistols, it definitely applies to rifles as well.

Faster speed and better accuracy is always preferred.

Unfortunately no one can shoot their tightest groups of all time, while getting their fastest splits of their life.

So it depends on the situation, and that's why important to shoot for groups, as well as run drills, and shoot in action type matches so you can develop as an all around shooter.

EDITED TO ADD:
    If the price is right take a course.... but I'm a big believer that you can learn a lot from a good book. There's also the MD Dynamics DVD's that are very good. Either of those plus a camera to take video's and you can accomplish a lot.
    Last edited by ehcarl2983; 11-02-10 at 23:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote hunter View Post
    I'll bite

As soon as you get your rifle zeroed from the bench (assuming you have all your fundamentals masterd) stand up, shoot standing.

I can only imagine that there will be no bench rests when you need them.
    I attempted to zero my rifle at 50 yards this past weekend. I would say I was definately hitting the 8 inch target consistently, but I was definately not getting tight groups consistently within that target. I know it's probably just a matter of practicing the fundamentals in that regard.

I definately like the way the carbine shoots and feels and have quite a bit of ammo for practice for the next couple of months (I travel, so I only get my practice in on the weekends).

I live in KC and have been looking for a basic carbine course that is within driving distance, but I haven't seen anything in the past couple of weeks. When I searched, it seemed like the closest places may be in Ohio on a consistent basis?

Quote Originally Posted by g5m View Post
    I think you have two different situations. Home defense is generally considered very close. The other could be close or potentially a lot further.
    Anyway, it seems to me that you would want acceptable accuracy for longer shots. That will always translate into adequate close up accuracy.
    What do you think is acceptable? An inch group at 100 yard.. min 5 preferably 10 shots. That's benchrest territory.
    So, what's acceptable for you?
    Ten rounds, I'd think 3"-5"-8" groups would be pretty darned good especially with iron sights.
    JMO.

But, if you can, get your carbine tuned up and spend the money to take a carbine class or two from a good school/instructor. Your eyes will be opened a lot about shooting at paper vs. shooting in a simulated situation. Really.
    Good point on the ranges within a home. I am working with irons and just trying to nail the fundamentals.

I am definately looking to take a basic class. Just need to find one that I can make it to. I've been doing a lot of reading on this site so I have a good idea of what is out there. Just needs to be closer!
    Last edited by gs013564; 11-02-10 at 23:46.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Training is key here, bro. Do a ton of reading on this site. Look up the m4c training groups in your region and make it a point to learn the fundamentals like: target acquisition, sight alignment, holdover, shooting positions, etc. If you need any help, don't be afraid to pm me or any of the other members. Welcome.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    Training is key here, bro. Do a ton of reading on this site. Look up the m4c training groups in your region and make it a point to learn the fundamentals like: target acquisition, sight alignment, holdover, shooting positions, etc. If you need any help, don't be afraid to pm me or any of the other members. Welcome.
    Yup, definately have been studying this site like crazy. Like you are advising, I am really working on sight alignment, trigger control, breathing and follow through at the moment. Sounds pretty lame, but from what I can tell, that's the starting point. Thanks for the welcome!

Feedback Score
    Lot of guys make it look easy, shooting on the move, moving form close in to far out targets quickly, etc. It ain't as I've discovered myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast