Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New MWS article in G&A Combat Tactics

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I think that the sr25/ar10 platforms have come a long way in the past 10 years, but they are nowhere as well refined as ar15 platforms. I don't know what it is about a .308 round, but consider an ar15 can be made to shoot everything from 45gr to 77gr ammo reliably- while 308 gas guns get quirky.

I don't know why LMT went with the carbine gas on the 16 inch barrels. Anyone know of a gunsmith who would replace the stock gas block with an adjustable one?

I don't think at least the two Ive owned have been all that quirky. The MWS never failed once with all types of ammo, and the EMC just had the one failure to lock back with that junk ammo. Id say 1 failure in over 2k rounds is pretty good, and that really isn't the guns fault. With quality mil type ammo both have been 100%, and reasonably accurate out to 750 yards.

I think the MWS is a better buy dollar for dollar but sometimes this thing aint all about that... When Im into something I want the best, and can't settle for #2.

Im glad I took the plunge, though. For a long time all I shot rifle wise was 223, and its nice to have a new caliber in the stable to where I can learn some more about guns, and enjoy doing it. The EMC is pricey but I can at least feed it 50 cent a round ammo. Some of these bolt gun guys are shooting rounds as much as i shoot my EMC that are 3-5 bucks a pop. There was a dude at the range a couple weeks ago letting Lapua 338 brass (actual Lapua brass) lay on the ground, and didn't want them. Thats like 2-3 bucks just for one peice of brass.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Oh I should also add the last year has been great for the 308 guys. The SCAR H, OBR, MWS, EMC/EMR, and a few others Im missing. Competition is always good, and it doesn't matter what rifle you get at this point because at this pace things are going fast enough in 2 years the 308 gas guns are going to even be better than they are now. We have some real competition now that is going to force these guys to step up the game, and get us better guns.

Ill always be a 556 fan but with a 308 its not a pop gun. Actually feels like you are really shooting a gun and not a big RWS pellet gun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Oh I should also add the last year has been great for the 308 guys. The SCAR H, OBR, MWS, EMC/EMR, and a few others Im missing. Competition is always good, and it doesn't matter what rifle you get at this point because at this pace things are going fast enough in 2 years the 308 gas guns are going to even be better than they are now. We have some real competition now that is going to force these guys to step up the game, and get us better guns.

Ill always be a 556 fan but with a 308 its not a pop gun. Actually feels like you are really shooting a gun and not a big RWS pellet gun.
    That is exactly the reason why no matter how nice these .308 guns get they will never replace or even come close to replacing the perfectly balanced .223/5.56 AR.....people will always doubt the .223/5.56 on almost every level yet it cannot be beat when all things are considered.

You can have your bruised shoulder and pink steak with a big dawg .308, I will by in large stick w. my pea shooting .223s

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post

eta: Its not so much your traditional gun rag spec and author thoughts but rather showing the MWS being utilized very effectively as a sniper rifle and various shooting drills done with it like 100yd. groups, ringing steel at 500yds, running surefire suppressors, attaching a UNS and running some nighttime drills, etc. The instructor as well as the students were all equipped w. MWS's and all discussion was on the MWS's capabilities in various types of shooting situations.
    I guess my magazine had an editied version of this article. Besides the implied message that the MWS is a capable weapon for the drills they ran, and one mention of its 15lb weight, there was nary a mention of its effectiveness, accuracy, nor reliability. It was all about the performance of the students. They might as well have been shooting a scoped Ruger No. 1. And the nightvision gear was only used on the unnamed bolt action rifles, not the MWS.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No I just think your reading comprehension skills need some improving.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 11-08-10 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Edited, refrain from this conduct in tech . PM sent. ~ cold
    Last edited by Cold; 11-15-10 at 17:36. Reason: Language and conduct not allowed in tech

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    It is strange. I've never seen a product so highly anticipated, that delivers exactly what it promised, fall out of favor so quickly. I think everyone was bitten by the EMC bug and wanted a battle rifle (light weight) instead of the DMR type rifle that the LMT is.
    It's all about your intent and picking the right tool.

Personally, I would go LMT MWS over KAC EMC for a DMR.

If I wanted a general purpose .308 I would probably get a SCAR-H provided there was an SBR solution.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    It's all about your intent and picking the right tool.

Personally, I would go LMT MWS over KAC EMC for a DMR.

If I wanted a general purpose .308 I would probably get a SCAR-H provided there was an SBR solution.
    Do you really think 308 is worth SBR-ing? Seems like there are much better rounds for an SBR application. You may as well stick to the 7.63 x 39 if you plan on doing anything shorter than 16" in 308. I like my MWS and I plan to use it as a range toy and nothing else. I got the MWS to hold me over until my wallet got fat enough for an EMC. AS soon as I held my buds EMC, without even shooting it I knew I had to get one. The build quality looked top notch, no tooling marks, excellent fit and finish. It felt like holding a regular 5.56 AR. I would consider the EMC a top notch battle rifle if there is such a thing anymore.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO27 View Post
    Do you really think 308 is worth SBR-ing? Seems like there are much better rounds for an SBR application. You may as well stick to the 7.63 x 39 if you plan on doing anything shorter than 16" in 308. I like my MWS and I plan to use it as a range toy and nothing else. I got the MWS to hold me over until my wallet got fat enough for an EMC. AS soon as I held my buds EMC, without even shooting it I knew I had to get one. The build quality looked top notch, no tooling marks, excellent fit and finish. It felt like holding a regular 5.56 AR. I would consider the EMC a top notch battle rifle if there is such a thing anymore.
    That range toy of yours is a MoD contract rifle that is currently receiving rave reviews from operators using it in A-Stan.

As for dropping north of $2500 to tie you over....well I guess that makes as much sense as you exclaiming your MWS is a mere range toy.

Ive seen it all perhaps now....at least you made Jim Jones smile somewhere

TXSUT....very classy reply and I have no idea how the Mods have not commented on that childish reply.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO27 View Post
    1. There is a huge selection of .308 cartridge designs that will cause all kinds of carnage out of a 13" SCAR-H barrel past 300 yards. The selection of 7.62x39 is meager by comparison. More options good, less options bad.

2. A 13" SCAR with a suppressor is far more space efficient, lighter and better balancing than 16" SCAR-H with a suppressor.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast