Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BUIS - Absolutely necessary?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fnslpmark112 View Post
    Here is my opinion based on the posts in this thread and posts in similar threads:

Aimpoint - BUIS probably not needed. However, good idea.
    Eotech - BUIS needed.
    ACOG - BUIS not needed based on EXTREME low probability of failure.

"2 is 1 and 1 is none" is great to a point. Then, it starts getting silly.
    All of these can fail for quite a few of the same reasons. What do you do anyways? Just paper-puncher like me? Then sure, don't 'waste money' on a backup.

As far as 2 is 1... How is that silly when it comes to optics and irons?

I don't know why you wouldn't get a backup with Magpul making such cheap MBUS's. Can you really not fit it or not afford it?

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Does anyone else feel like this is becoming a bit of a masturbation session?
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Let me ask you this, I've never seen or heard of anyone in the military (SF being an exception) running a folding BUIS. (ETA: Forgot to ask the question) Have you?
    (Raised hand)

I had a flip-up rear sight on my M4 on my last deployment. Stayed down except when I took the ACOG off for cleaning. Just got back 2 months ago. I'm in a "combat" unit, but not SF by any means.
    Last edited by QuadBomb; 11-16-10 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadBomb View Post
    (Raised hand)

I had a flip-up rear sight on my M4 on my last deployment. Stayed down except when I took the ACOG off for cleaning. Just got back 2 months ago. I'm in a "combat" unit, but not SF by any means.
    My mistake, I've got friends in the N.G., Marines and Army and I've never seen a BUIS in any of their pictures deployed, or of them just training at home, that I could recall, or honestly at any point.

I'll also quote.

Disclaimer: I'm not in the military, never have been, didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express near military bases even.
    I was wrong, but, I don't go back and modify what I say to make myself look better or down play my (in this case) ignorance.

But I will say that and, Thanks for your service, actually thank you both.

My mistake.

ETA: As a side note, just so this post is more than "Yeah I was wrong, you're right. (which I was, again, my mistake)".

Were you issued that BUIS? Do you think it's a necessity to have a BUIS? Was it something you were required to have or was it something you could pick or choose to put on the weapon?

Would you put one on your own personal AR?

Just seeing that you've been there done that and such, seen the optics we use, do you still think a BUIS, even though given the great traffic record of Optics, are necessary?
    Last edited by BWT; 11-16-10 at 19:13.

Feedback Score
    Funny story about that.

I own an Aimpoint Micro H1 which is mounted on my personal AR at home. When we deployed I took it with me and attached it to my M4, and I took my ACOG off. Some of my Marines had M16A4s with only irons, so I figured I'd let one of them use my ACOG since I'd spent my money on this fancy new optic. But when we arrived in theater and did our combat BZO, this old Gunner gave me an earful about some MARADMIN which states that only ACOGs could be used on issued weapons. In the interest of not getting my CO in trouble with the regimental commander, I popped the aimpoint off, flipped up my rear sight and waited till I was back at my tent to retrieve my ACOG and put it back on my M4. Later I found out that the Colonel didn't give a damn if we used our own optics.

To answer your question, the BUIS came issued with the rifle. I don't know what make it was. The ACOG mount had big thumb screws that could be removed by hand, no need for tools. The BUIS would have required an allen wrench or a star-shaped screwdriver to remove, though.

Most of the Marines in my Battery went downrange with ACOGs. I don't recall whether every single one of them had a BUIS, but I do know that not all of them were familiar with theirs or even knew what they were there for. We never had an optic "fail" on us. Never had one go down due to enemy action. But, interestingly, there was a problem with my own ACOG where the eyepiece progressively became less clear as time went by. It looked like there was some kind of milky debris inside the lens itself, and it wouldn't wipe off. If I held my M4 up in a firing position I could still see through it, though the sight picture became noticeably dimmer by the time my deployment ended.

Would I have a BUIS on a combat weapon? Speaking for myself, yes. Our issued weapons already have the A-frame front sight base, and the BUISs that they issue us weigh very little. It can't hurt.

My personal AR at home goes without. It needs some smithing before it's ready for primetime, so until then my 870 pulls home defense duty. And since I'm living on a budget right now, I think I can rely on my Aimpoint to get me through until I can set aside enough to buy a new set of BUIS.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456