Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A lot of Rounds?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A) Relax

B) 10k on that is not a big deal

C) A big deal is your LW frame develops gouges or cracks - when that happens? There is no rhyme or reason to this b/c every "I heard / I saw" on the internet is based on some other person's maintenance schedule / mag choice ect.

D) As for parts breaking - that is apples and oranges to concerns of the frame / slide barrel. If you are concerned about round count and parts - send it off the Chuck (if he can squeeze you in) and have the internals replaced with some Wilson BP's or whatever your flavor is.

E) I would not use CM style split metal followers in an LW

Not that it is an apples to apples comparison - one of my steel governments is a little over 50k rounds now with no parts breakages or other problems. I am more than confident that I will get at least 125k out of the frame and slide as long as I keep changing springs and don't destroy the breach face.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    I'll try to respond to your question about "timeframe" on this particular gun. My average sessions at the range run 300 - 500 rounds with the most fired on a single day maybe 700 (reloads). I am very anal about taking care of my guns so they are cleaned/oiled after every range session and completely stripped, inspected and cleaned at approx every 3k rounds. I think your worrying too much, just run the crap out of the gun and if you have issues contact S&W for a prepaid shipping label and let them take care of it. They are guaranteed for life so why worry but if you swap out any parts like I did keep the originals and put them back in before sending the gun to S&W for two reasons, first the aftermarket parts may invalidate the warranty if they are determined to be the reason for the "problem" and second S&W has a habit of replacing any aftermarket parts with originals and not returning what they took out. This has been mentioned on a few forums so whether or not it's true or net BS remains to be seen but why take the chance ?

Feedback Score
    I had a alloy framed 1911 from Springfield let go right under 5k. Frame cracked by the dust cover. Minor and didn't affect function. First gen Kimber CDP died around slide catch lever hole somewhere around 3500rnds. Those were my last runs with aluminum framed 1911s.
    I've heard the Scandium models should be much more durable, so 10k shouldn't be much concern. Plus S&W has excellent customer service if you'd ever have a problem. Just keep up on spring/parts maintenance and watch for feed ramp errosion issues pending what style magazines you use.

Feedback Score
    round count to a significant issue with a alloy frame usually develops in the 30k range. scandium being a stronger alloy should be tougher- run her to 100 k and let us know how she's holding up

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123