Thread: 6.8 12.5" Crusader-FTF with lighter bullets-Anyone else having problems

Feedback Score

6.8 12.5" Crusader-FTF with lighter bullets-Anyone else having problems

I have a new 6.8 12.5" Crusader with switchblock that I placed on a lower I built with a standard carbine buffer spring and H buffer as recommended by Noveske.

I'm using new Barrett mags with new SSA ammo and the 110 Sierra Pro Hunter, 115 OTM, and 110 TSX and everything functions perfectly(gas block set to "O" and unsuppressed)

After shooting one to a few rounds of 100gr Accubond or 85 TSX, the next round fails to feed and the bolt usually does not lock back after the last round in the magazine is fired.

Has anyone else had problems like this? Is this due to it being undergassed with this ammo? I apologize for my ignorance as I am novice shooter when it comes to the AR platform.

I've sent a message to Noveske and I'm certain they will be able to help me. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with the lighter bullets loads from SSA in their 6.8 Crusaders.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I use a standard buffer on my LMT 6.8(chamber reamed to SPCII), had the same issue with the 85 SSA Tactical Loads when using the H buffer. It was sporatic during zero, after using the standard buffer, no issues.

I don't have the technical cause for you. Maybe something along the lines of being held in locking a bit to long and not having enough gas pressure left to operate the bcg fully to pick up a new cartridge or lock back on empty?
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 11-07-10 at 20:12.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Thanks mark5pt56! I posted this on the 6.8 forum and found some interesting information.

"We are re-doing our web site and will be adding a Tach Page to it with a dis-claimer.All the Tach loads will be on this page and the commercial rounds will be on their own page.

As for the 95 TTSX: To get the best performence a fast buring powder is needed and we can get 2,850 FPS from a load we have from of a 16" barrel. BUT!! some weapons are short stroking with it, keep in mind we have over 40 6.8 weapons we test in.

There are about 6 guns that short stroke but all the weapons work fine with a slower burning powder, hence the 2,580 FPS. All the weapons short stroking have the Spec II chamber but gas port size and in one case the port location is the issue. If we add the 95 to our Tach page at say 2,800 FPS what do we do? list the weapons that short stroke, we will not make to many friends who produce those weapons, got to be PC you know.

Give me some ideas, I do not want to see a bunch on complaints on this or other forums and I do not want to take back a bunch of ammo becaue it will happen.

So help me out and give me an idea how to deal with it.

Art - SSA"

It sounds like my rifle may be one of the 6 of the 40 that has issues with short stroking with some of the SSA ammo. I guess if SSA doesn't want complaining, they could have some subforum or information on their website about which uppers/rifles have been reported to short stroke so customers don't shell out a few hundred dollars on ammo that won't function properly in their rifles. If had known, I just would have bought some other SSA ammo that would function.

I'm still waiting to hear from Noveske and I may just put in a standard buffer and see what happens. Once I get my suppressor, I'm sure that this ammo will function just fine so it's not a complete waste.
    Last edited by Nevermiss; 11-07-10 at 21:41.