Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to firearms and I want to join the NRA

Feedback Score

New to firearms and I want to join the NRA

Should I join the NRA first? I really do want to be part of it and support it. Someone also said if your a member you can get discounnts on some firearms..If this is true. I definatly want to join before I pick up a firearm. Can anyone confirm this?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I used to be an NRA member, now I am a life-member of GOA. I don't care about discounts/etc, all I care is that an organization represents me.
    NevadaGunOwners.com | Reno4x4.com | GOA Life Member

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've never gotten a discount for being an NRA member, but a lot of private ranges require NRA membership.

I'd highly recommend joining up.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Welcome Chris, get some training on how to safely handle firearms. Then go find a gun that fits you and suits your purpose buy it a crapload of ammo and shoot it like you wanna keep it, worry about which gun rights advocacy group you support later.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Welcome Chris, get some training on how to safely handle firearms. Then go find a gun that fits you and suits your purpose buy it a crapload of ammo and shoot it like you wanna keep it, worry about which gun rights advocacy group you support later.
    My roommate has been shooting guns his whole life. I look forward to getting out to the ranges with him.. I have a Kimber on order and really look forward to shooting it and learning all the ins and outs of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Definitely join - I renew every year at a gun show and get in for free. The primary reason you should join is so that you can keep your gun once you get it. The NRA helps defend our rights against people who think that our constitution is not important.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's bad enough that joining the NRA will net you a TON of junk mail and evening telephone soliciitation calls...but if you give them your email address you also will get endless spam. If those things don't bother you, go ahead and join up. If you are already getting enough of that crap, consider donating to the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action via money order or bank check instead of buying a membership. The money goes to the same causes and you'll get less crap in your inbox.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    It's bad enough that joining the NRA will net you a TON of junk mail and evening telephone soliciitation calls...but if you give them your email address you also will get endless spam. If those things don't bother you, go ahead and join up. If you are already getting enough of that crap, consider donating to the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action via money order or bank check instead of buying a membership. The money goes to the same causes and you'll get less crap in your inbox.
    I've herd that about the NRA. I do have 2 emails. One that I use regulary and another for stuff that I sign up for. The home phone calls are the things I'm not excited about..All I have is my cell phone and not a lot of minutes every month..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris60119 View Post
    I've herd that about the NRA. I do have 2 emails. One that I use regulary and another for stuff that I sign up for. The home phone calls are the things I'm not excited about..All I have is my cell phone and not a lot of minutes every month..
    If you join, don't fill in the blanks giving them your phone number or your email address. If you do, a partial list of your new friends and email buddies can be found here. And you can expect a telephone call, every time they have a new fundraising drive.

Feedback Score
    They will take you off their phone call list if you ask them to. I'm not their biggest cheerleader and you will get a lot of junk mail, but the NRA has political clout no other gun organization does.

It makes sense to hold off on buying that Kimber until you have a chance to shoot several different types of gun and figure out what works best for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast