Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M16A2 clone

Feedback Score

M16A2 clone

I'd like to assemble a clone of the M16A2 that I had when I was in the Army. I have a number of other AR's, so this is just a "I want one" type of thing. However, I'm having difficulty finding a quality 20 inch barrel with a carry handle upper. I'd prefer to just buy a complete upper from BCM or someplace, but all they have are flat tops. I don't mind buying a barrel (preferrably with the front site base already installed) and assembling it myself though.

Ideally, I'd like a chrome lined, 1/7 twist, 20 inch, GI barrel. Can someone point me to a place that has what I'm looking for? My search failed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Goto===> www.gunbroker.com

Type the search term===> FNMI

Check the "Search Item Titles and Descriptions" box...

Press enter...

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    I bought an upper from this seller and was quite pleased with the transaction. He also has barrels if you prefer to build yourself.

Last edited by flatdarkmars; 11-08-10 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    Not intending to hijack the thread, but I'm interested in an M16A2 clone as well. I picked up an AN/PVS-4, and am interested in an AR that would be a close match to what would have been in use when the PVS-4s were most commonly issued. An M16A2 was suggested to me.

I'm a novice, so I'm not sure exactly what I need to look for.

If I picked up one of these FN uppers, is it possible to get a FN lower to match? Or were they all full-auto only?

Or would a Colt be a better choice? If so, which model should I look for? Maybe 6500, 6550 or 6600?

Feedback Score
    You mean something like this:

Mine is a gray FN upper and barrel I found at a gun show and the lower is a gray McKay lower sold through Nodak Spud. Black lowers are pretty common on A2s these days but back in the late 80s, gray was the color they were anodized. It's a minor thing though and if you want to go with a black upper, that's fine too but I would still suggest going with a McKay or NDS lower. I also have several of their retro lowers and outside of the fact that they are the only folks that make lowers that are true to the original design (other than the auto sear pin hole) their quality is excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to put it up against any big name high quality lower out there!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFCATM View Post
    You mean something like this:
    YES YES YES!!! Awesome.

Is this the McKay you have? (halfway down the page) "RM16A2 lower in XM Gray"

Is the FN upper on gunbroker linked above (here) from the correct time period? I can't tell if that has a gray or black finish.

I have one receiver from Nodak, although it's for a Bulgarian Krink build. I'm very happy with their quality and attention to detail.
    Last edited by zackn; 11-09-10 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    Yup, that's the same McKay lower I have. As far as the FN upper, it's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it might be though.

Feedback Score
    As far as time periods go, either black or gray finished A2 would be fine if all you want is for the AN/PVS-4 to match. Family members in the 10th Mountain were still using AN/PVS-4's on M16A2's in the early 90's while deployed in Somalia and Haiti.
    Last edited by Whootsinator; 11-09-10 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_TheGunNut View Post
    I'd like to assemble a clone of the M16A2 that I had when I was in the Army. I have a number of other AR's, so this is just a "I want one" type of thing. However, I'm having difficulty finding a quality 20 inch barrel with a carry handle upper. I'd prefer to just buy a complete upper from BCM or someplace, but all they have are flat tops. I don't mind buying a barrel (preferrably with the front site base already installed) and assembling it myself though.

Ideally, I'd like a chrome lined, 1/7 twist, 20 inch, GI barrel. Can someone point me to a place that has what I'm looking for? My search failed.
    I bought my M16A2 barreled upper for my clone from here.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos/accys/colt.html

there are 2 or 3 listed.

this is mine, all Colt parts.

Last edited by Scattergun; 11-09-10 at 19:21.
    The devil danced as he went down
    In the hail of arrows comin'
    Out on the wild Montana ground,
    Custer died a-runnin'.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I had many of the same questions. Thanks for the links and info. Another thing to consider is guns were often mismatched so a little color difference in an upper and lower is "correct" too.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 11-26-10 at 01:32.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast