Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M16A2 clone

Feedback Score
    Whoa, hold on a minute. All standard rifle-length gas systems use triangle handguard caps. The A2 rifle handguards have a special arrangement of nubs that allow them to fit either the top or bottom of the triangle cap. Behold:

Carbine-length gas systems use round caps.

On a related point of historical trivia, the round "A2" rifle-length handguards were actually developed in the 1960s, but were not adopted for issue until the upgrade to the A2 standard in the mid 80s. More here.
    Last edited by flatdarkmars; 12-03-10 at 08:49.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Thanks for squaring me away. I must have been thinking about my carbines. Most bad the round cap and a few had a round cap with a cut out on the bottom when the bbl had an M4 profile.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 11-27-10 at 19:26.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flatdarkmars View Post
    Whoa, hold on a minute. All standard rifle-length gas systems use triangle handguard caps. The A2 rifle handguards have a special arrangement of nubs that allow them to fit either the top or bottom of the triangle cap. Behold:

Carbine and midlength gas systems use round caps.

On a related point of historical trivia, the round "A2" rifle-length handguards were actually developed in the 1960s, but were not adopted for issue until the upgrade to the A2 standard in the mid 80s. More here.

thanks for the information .

so ? a standard A2 rifle'
    can use either one ? but the triangular is more correct.
    peabody

p.s. that was some GREAT reading !
    them M16's aint never going to catch on are they ?
    thanks for posting that !
    Last edited by peabody; 11-29-10 at 09:54.
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    so ? a standard A2 rifle'
    can use either one ?
    No. Rifle-length gas systems use triangular handguard caps. If you were to put a round cap on a rifle-length gas system, good luck finding handguards to fit it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flatdarkmars View Post
    No. Rifle-length gas systems use triangular handguard caps. If you were to put a round cap on a rifle-length gas system, good luck finding handguards to fit it.

so what your saying is, the standard ''round''rifle length handguards will not fit on a round cap rifle length ?

i think i understand.

peabody.

but, im positive now' that i'm going with the triangular handguard cap on my A2/clone build.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    so what your saying is, the standard ''round''rifle length handguards will not fit on a round cap rifle length ?

i think i understand.

peabody.

but, im positive now' that i'm going with the triangular handguard cap on my A2/clone build.
    If this helps, look at the handguard caps and their descriptions on the BCM website:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ar15-...arrel-s/90.htm
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    A triangular hand guard will not fit a round cap.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=881062

A triangular cap, as found on rifles and middies , will fit both. If you look at a around handguard you will see the groves should fit both caps. I don’t have a pair here to photo.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=126536

"Replacement handguard caps fit mil-spec hand guards and military profile barrels.

Notes:

Requires removal of the front sight base for installation
    Will work with both A1 and A2 handguards"

Below is the type of cap I've had on on carbines with M4 profile bbl and M203 cut in bbl.

In the link below check out the A2 handguards and you will see a tab at 12 and 6 O’clock for the tri cap and the tabs at 10 & 2 and again at 8& 4 O’clock for the round caps.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5...ND_HANDGUARDS#

Here is another link to a rifle with the triangle hand guards with current round handguards.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

If you want to use triangular handguards get a triangular end cap, it will also work on round handguards.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    If this helps, look at the handguard caps and their descriptions on the BCM website:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ar15-...arrel-s/90.htm

Yeah what Amicus said! Looks like we were typing at the same time. His link is easier to look at everything is in the same place.

Feedback Score
    thanks guy's...

didn't mean to confuse and debate. the bravo link' thank you.
    im a littel slow... but im up to speed now !!

peabody

just dug out the triangle cap, its ready to go.
    Last edited by peabody; 11-29-10 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    Hello, Three good companies that sell 20' barrels are: bushmaster 20"
    1/9, A2 gov. profile. Green Mountain 19.5" 1/12 A1 and a 20" 1/8, A2
    gov. profile and CMMG 20" A2, 1/7 gov. profile.

Merry Christmas,

Mark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123