Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M16A2 clone

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scattergun View Post
    I bought my M16A2 barreled upper for my clone from here.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos/accys/colt.html

there are 2 or 3 listed.

this is mine, all Colt parts.

I've looked at their stuff before but their prices turned me off. $35 for a PMag, seriously?
    Last edited by usmcvet; 11-09-10 at 19:57. Reason: Awesome looking rifle by the way. It brings me back in time.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zackn View Post
    Is the FN upper on gunbroker linked above (here) from the correct time period? I can't tell if that has a gray or black finish.
    The one I purchased had a very dark gray or dull flat black finish. I do not think it would match perfectly with either the XM Gray or Black lowers from NDS/McKay. It would fall somewhere in between in color. I took it apart and had the receiver re-anodized in XM Gray by US Anodizing to match a gray lower. I was having a bunch of parts refinished so it was just one more item to throw in the box. If I had not been having other parts refinished at the same time, I'm not sure I would have bothered. A little color mismatch, as has been said, is not uncommon on the original rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flatdarkmars View Post
    A little color mismatch, as has been said, is not uncommon on the original rifles.
    Good to know, thanks. I'll have to weigh the FN upper + Nodak lower vs getting a full Colt setup like Scattergun's above.

If I wanted it to be a really good clone, I guess I'd need to send in the Nodak lower in to have the FN markings engraved on it, and then have it refinished. Not to be a wanker about the details, but that's kind of how I roll

FN didn't get the contract until 1988 from what I read, so I guess the A2s were all Colt before that?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Hey sounds like a great idea. If you get it engraved make sure you post some pictures here for us to see.

Wanker that and nackered are words I've not heard in quite a while.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Being a wanker about the details is what the retro AR hobby is all about!

Not sure if their A2s were the same.

ETA: Apparently so...

Also notice both show some degree of upper/lower color mismatch.
    Last edited by flatdarkmars; 11-12-10 at 22:26.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why clone? My Colt "Government Model (R-6550)."

I got it from someone who put it away from the world for 17 years. I considered that decision was just wrong and put it through a carbine class with "Super Dave" Harrington. (Easily the longest thing on the course.) One operator induced FTF in 1200 rounds. It now sits in my safe with a TA-11 and is my final, last ditch, best-of-the-best, SHTF go-to. Tested and ready.
    Last edited by Amicus; 11-13-10 at 10:52.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    NOW i've got to build a M16A2 retro.
    thanks guys.
    looking for an A2 upper now.

peabody
    Last edited by peabody; 11-27-10 at 20:18.
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into one of the FN uppers on Gunbroker. The other site did seem kinda proud of their stuff. I was hoping for a new upper though, but I guess I can go used, and perhaps have it re-annodized. Was considering sending a couple of items to US Anodizing anyway.

THanks again.

Feedback Score
    sorry, if im posting in an older thread.

maybe im not seeing it right ?

but what is the correct handguard cap for a M16A2 ?

in the pictures, im not sure if im looking at a round or triangular handguard cap.
    i think it is a triangular one, also ? would it be correct to have the green furniture ?

thank you for any information you can pass my way.

peabody
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    sorry, if im posting in an older thread.

maybe im not seeing it right ?

but what is the correct handguard cap for a M16A2 ?

in the pictures, im not sure if im looking at a round or triangular handguard cap.
    i think it is a triangular one, also ? would it be correct to have the green furniture ?

thank you for any information you can pass my way.

peabody
    The A2's I was issued all had a round cap. They should accept a triangle hand guard. I never saw a triangular cap until recently. I know BCM uses them on their mid lengths.

Green furniture would be on a Very old gun and the furniture alone is very valuable.

This threads not old. No worries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast