Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Night Land-Nav Tips?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak44 View Post
    Yep nothing like walking into a branch to ruin your night.
    Truth. Managed to cut a cornea during some night land nav a few years ago. Not the best of times. +1 for good eye pro.

Feedback Score
    Planning and prep is very important to landnav. Take your time before your head out to plot and double check your plots then find a good route that minimizes distance between points and allows to you to use attack points, handrails and backstops.

Also take a PT belt with you. Besides having the ability to repel bugs, find water, and fight velociraptors, it is useful if you arrive at your destination and cannot find your point. Use the belt to mark where you think to point should be and do a clover leaf from there. It will help keep you from drifting off center as you bust brush searching for the point.

+1 for clear eye pro

Dano5326 Guest
    don't get lost

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Lots of great info in this thread!
    *I can't over-emphasize breaking the movement into small bites with collecting features to either a) get a warm fuzzy feeling you're on the right track or b) jacked up and need to check your nav plan.
    *Practice, practice, practice! Confidence in your abilities and tools makes all the difference in the world.
    *In addition to eye protection, a hat with a visor is a good idea. I prefer having a piece headwear as my leading edge rather than my nose.

Feedback Score
    Who makes a good red light headlamp? I use a Surefire HL1-C-TN with a cheap $10 light from Academy. Looking for something with more lumens.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpuga1982 View Post
    Who makes a good red light headlamp?
    Petzl Tikka is a good choice. I've also been known to take a map pen and color my Princeton Tec or Black Diamond head lamps green or red depending on my needs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A good stick about three feet long to hold out in front of you so you don't catch a spider web to the face.
    Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    Petzl Tikka is a good choice. I've also been known to take a map pen and color my Princeton Tec or Black Diamond head lamps green or red depending on my needs.
    The Princeton Tec Remix Pro MPLS is looking like a winner.

http://princetontec.com/remix-pro-mpls

http://youtu.be/9Ep6L7IoEvE
    Last edited by johnpuga1982; 12-17-12 at 00:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If your map has any type of relief be aware that as the contour lines get closer together the land gets steeper, i.e. cliff or dropoff!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345