Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Land-Nav Tips?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    we used to keep the mini chemlights in our cheeks during night movement. just enough red light to get an azimuth, check the time, or peer down into a pocket/pouch, etc.

that's my weak little "tip"

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Pacecount, backstops, and keeping track of where you are are the basics. A lot of people overuse flashlights. You actually only need a little red light to read your map. Unless it's pitch black you ou can get used to moving without one actually have better SA than if you were using a light everywhere.

My biggest tip, though, is eye protection. Clear lenses will save your eyes from brush. It's one of those things you think is gay until you have a stick poking into your eye. Ask me how I know. I use Oakley half jackets and just snap in the clear lenses if I'm packing around at night in the woods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Pacecount, backstops, and keeping track of where you are are the basics. A lot of people overuse flashlights. You actually only need a little red light to read your map. Unless it's pitch black you ou can get used to moving without one actually have better SA than if you were using a light everywhere.

My biggest tip, though, is eye protection. Clear lenses will save your eyes from brush. It's one of those things you think is gay until you have a stick poking into your eye. Ask me how I know. I use Oakley half jackets and just snap in the clear lenses if I'm packing around at night in the woods.
    It's funny, because I have a cut on my face from walking straight in to a branch during night land nav. Luckily (or unluckily), I have BCGs, which cover about 40% of my face.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    we used to keep the mini chemlights in our cheeks during night movement. just enough red light to get an azimuth, check the time, or peer down into a pocket/pouch, etc.

that's my weak little "tip"
    Me too, I got my EIB in Germany, boars were part of the terrain.

VMI-MO Guest
    clear eye pro

PJ

Feedback Score
    Lots of good stuff here...

One thing I will add: TRUST YOUR COMPASS!

I have seen hundreds of people get in trouble with this one... "something must be wrong with the compass, we should be heading in that direction"
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleDrill3 View Post
    Interesting how this thread doesn't garner quite as many responses as gear loadout pics
    Are you suggesting that the usefulness of a thread is inverse to the number of responses?

This is a great thread.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't think he was suggesting that at all. I took it as more of comment on how some threads have that so-called 'cool guy/gear queer' factor and tend to elicit more responses because of it. Land Nav, while an essential and perishable skill, has more of a boring check the block air about it. I personally love land Nav and haven't gotten to do it near as much as I'd like to. My personal opinion, and I was raised 'old school' Army, is learn how to do the basics first then move on to the GPSs. Unfortunately there's gotten to be such a reliance on technology that it doesn't seem like there's as much emphasis on the basic skills anymore.

To the OP.... As has been mentioned before know your pace count, trust you compass and have your plots right. The first two will do you absolutely no good if you haven't plotted your points correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan09 View Post
    Are you suggesting that the usefulness of a thread is inverse to the number of responses?

This is a great thread.

Feedback Score
    Spend more time in the woods at night...night land nav is intimidating simply because it is dark...just being out in the woods at night can help your skill level.

Judging from the my limited exposure to land nav courses, most "failures" or "VW's" come when the sun sets.

- Rob

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VMI-MO View Post
    clear eye pro

PJ
    Yep nothing like walking into a branch to ruin your night.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast