Thread: Which Training Companies Are Reputable?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Which Training Companies Are Reputable?

Hi guys:
    I've really enjoyed lurking on this forum, learned alot from the wisdom of the experienced.

What training companies would you guys recommend taking classes from? Are there any to avoid?
    I've heard alot of good things about the Magpul Dynamics guys, Larry Vickers, and Pat Rogers.

Thanks!

EDIT:
    DUH! Just saw thread with company recommendations... So, are there any classes to avoid?
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 08-31-10 at 15:00. Reason: gained answers I wanted

Feedback Score
    I can attest to Vickers and Rogers as teaching solid stuff. Most of the mag pul stuff i have seen is solid also. Add to the list Tactical Defense Institute. One thing we have that most travel instructors don't is a facility that allows life fire houses, force on force 2 story house and a host of assistant instructors to keep a close hands on helping critique. We have everywhere from active SWAT to military to engineers, etc. on the staff which brings alot of views to the table. See us at tdiohio.com

David Bowie

Feedback Score

training companys & trainers

Every company/instructor has their own spin on doing things.

While the big name guys like : Viking Tactics, Magpul Dynamics , Tiger Swan, Pat Rogers etc ., all make the internet reviews - there are just as capable local resources that offer the same information.

I've never noticed prejudice against any company here on this forum, fwiw.
    the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dude there is a big difference beween someone teaching who is a 20 year SOF vet, and a local NRA instructor...

Training in incremental - while the local chapter may be good at first, eventually you may outpace their instruction, and want to seek a higher caliber instructor.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Dude, no doubt .
    If you look at the common basic material - it doesn't take a 20yr veteran of the SOf community to make the class "legit." While they might offer a unique perspective, you can only shoot a firearm so many ways.

Locally (Az.), we have instructors who run the gamut of CCW to full blown multi-weapon programs.
    Backgrounds include current & former LE/Mil to the local IPSC icons.

I'm sure there are equal resources available near the OP.
    Last edited by azidpa; 08-31-10 at 17:24.
    the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare.

Feedback Score
    The problem I see with local, lower level instruction, is the amount of bullshit some of these guys propagate.

I once coached an 3-P rimfire team. The best 3-P instructor around was also a Fudd who could not be restrained from injecting his bullshit myths about tactical shooting and the AR-system.

It got to where, in order to get the valuable 3-P knowledge he had, I had to bite my tongue in his presence, but "uninstruct" my team on other things he said.

Bottom line, you gotta take most instruction with a grain of salt until you proof it. And for a beginner it is hard to tell the difference between shit and shinola.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by azidpa View Post
    Dude, no doubt .
    If you look at the common basic material - it doesn't take a 20yr veteran of the SOf community to make the class "legit." While they might offer a unique perspective, you can only shoot a firearm so many ways.

Locally (Az.), we have instructors who run the gamut of CCW to full blown multi-weapon programs.
    Backgrounds include current & former LE/Mil to the local IPSC icons.

I'm sure there are equal resources available near the OP.
    All depends, I have seen 20 year Mil and SWAT folks that wear downright unsafe in a Shoot House.

Bottom line is someone with a fair amount of time in CAG or DevGru has both the training and operational experience to impart a lot of knowledge, good knowledge.

It depends what your looking for.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score

Tiger McKee

www.shootrite.org

Tiger McKee is located near Guntersville, Alabama.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have taken a LAV pistol 1 course and learned a lot! I am new to carbines and want to take the LAV pistol/carbine course next July. I am going to take a VSM class with a local guy who is endorsed by LAV and can bring me up to a level where I will benefit more from LAV's instruction. IMO you have to approach training as building blocks and if you seek quality training from the basics to advanced, you will be a much better shooter. This is why the VSM regional instructor program is such a great idea.