Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I get my AR from CO to NH?

Feedback Score

How do I get my AR from CO to NH?

I feel like this would be the right place to ask this question...

So, I feel like I've earned some well deserved time off. I'm going to fly to see my brother and parents in NH. While I'm there I thought I'd go pop a few caps in some paper (they live on a set of land where I can do so legally and safely). SO, does anyone have a good guide to flying with an AR-15? I've flown with my Glock and my Kimber on multiple occasions but I haven't flown with a rifle before.

I know it has to be unloaded in a locked hard case.... ammo separate... anything else I'm missing?
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    No, its actually alot easier than most people realize.

You need:
    A lockable hard case.
    Big, beefy locks (dont get cheesy TSA locks. You want locks that are gonna cost at least $10 each)

Ive flown out of Honolulu and Tampa airports and it varies between the two.

You get to the counter, say you have weapons to declare. They will give you a red tag that you just sign saying you certify the weapons are unloaded. Then you put the red tag INSIDE the case and close it.

From there one of two things will happen.

A.) You will physically take the unlocked case to a TSA rep who will ask you to open it and search for explosives. Once he's done you'll put your locks on it and they'll put it with the other baggage.
    or
    B.) You will physically take the unlocked case to the electronic screening machine, the TSA rep will send it through the machine and give you the thumbs up that its safe. Then you will put your locks on it and the TSA rep will put it with the other baggage.

Remember, they are not allowed to unlock your case nor are they allowed to touch your firearms (except slightly if they physically inspect). Do not give them your keys, do not give them your locks. Don't let them put anything on the outside of the case that says there is a firearm inside. The only exception is after they inspect it, they MAY put a little red dot sticker or something of that sort. THat is only to show its already been inspected not that there is a firearm inside. Any violations of these are not airline violations they are federal law violations and you need to immediately ask for a supervisor.

Remember.
    1. They don't handle the case until it's been screened and you've locked it. Period.
    2. They don't lock the case. Period.
    3. You don't give them the keys.
    4. They aren't allowed to put anything on the outside indentifying it as a firearm.

Hopefully you'll get an experienced airline employee who isn't a moron and your experience will be pretty smooth. If not, just ask for a supervisor.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 11-09-10 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ammo does not have to be separate. The TSA inspector may require that your mags be empty, though it's pretty rare as far as I can tell. I fly with a pistol and use a Hardigg case with has cutouts in the foam for a couple commercial ammo boxes. Looks nice and presentable, and is easy for the inspector to see what everything is.

One other tip... though this doesn't really apply for long guns: check your gun case together with a larger plain piece of luggage. I like to stash my pistol case in side a nondescript Wal Mart suitcase and check them together. A fancy hard case by itself just screams "expensive stuff inside, steal me!" Having the gun case inside a normal suitcase also means you can (laws permitting) roll straight from baggage claim to the nearest restroom and strap it back on, without freaking anyone out.

Feedback Score
    Yeah my pistol cases always go in the suit cases and I even have a little system to secure the pistol case to the actual suit case. Call it paranoia but I've heard stories. Main reason I asked about the rifle was my same paranoia. Sounds the same as flying with a pistol, just can't conceal the fact that there's gun case... unless I find a really big bag.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBru View Post
    Yeah my pistol cases always go in the suit cases and I even have a little system to secure the pistol case to the actual suit case. Call it paranoia but I've heard stories. Main reason I asked about the rifle was my same paranoia. Sounds the same as flying with a pistol, just can't conceal the fact that there's gun case... unless I find a really big bag.
    maybe a hockey bag or something..

with an AR15 if you break it down to put it in a pelican case or something it could be pretty small.

I've flown with my glock 26 once, really wasn't a problem. Granted it was from CO to NC, fairly gun-friendly states. the ticket lady in NC on my way back asked me if i was flying armed I do no look like a cop. I told her i was game if they were.. she was like "i have no idea why i just asked that"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Best way is to find a local FFL and a destination FFL and ship your rifle.

But here are the rules if you are going to trust a baggage handler that is the 4 person so far this year to hold his/her position because the turnover rate (from what I hear) is quite high for those guys.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 11-09-10 at 16:50. Reason: spnelling, huked on phonicz didn't work 4 me

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would print it and take it with you. I had an ID issued by TWIC/TSA and the TSA agent would not accept it as an authentic ID. Also if they label your firearm like they use to, it is illegal due to the brady act. They can no longer put that bright red sticker "UNLOADED FIREARM" on your luggage.

Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, US Code Title 18, section 922(e) was amended as such:

"No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

The above Brady info was taken from a post I had on Barrettrifles.com about the same subject , want to give credit where credit is due.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 11-10-10 at 07:42.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah, DEFINITELY take printouts of both the TSA and specific airline policies regarding firearms and have them on you. You can never tell what yokel you may have to deal with that doesn't know either the law or the policy of their own organization. While not common, it's not horribly unusual, though I have far, far more instances of having to remind the airline folks of their own practices than I ever have TSA.

My most recent one was a quiet but intense argument with the lady behind the United counter at the Vegas airport while departing from SHOT, over what sort of locks were supposed to be on my case. This, even though the policy was printed right on the front of the counter. Between that, me being in compliance with law ans policy and me having proof in hand with the appropriate passage highlighted under a self-typed, bolded, underlined header that read TO BE USED IN CASE OF BEING HASSLED BY SOME STUBBORN DOUCHENOZZLE...she had a bad day. I don't go looking for excuses to yank that out, but I think it's pretty inexcusable to be ignorant about such things, so I think it's a good alternative to shouted name-calling in regard to my feelings on the matter.

I also took a page from a friend of mine, a geologist for an oil company. He takes core samples from rock and ships them hither and yon, and his cases are marked as such. He uses them for transporting his guns, and are marked with "rock samples" on the exterior. He's never had it messed with. Neither has mine since I painted the same on it. Who wants to steal rocks?
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately each airline company determines their own rule for what is allowed and what is not regardless of TSA guidelines.

In general, airlines ask passengers to use a hard case and secure it with padlocks that only the passenger has keys to it.

You should find the exact case you would like to use to transport your AR and contact the airline you will buy your ticket from and give them all the specific information about your gun and case, so they can assist you with accurate information.

Here is my pick for a AR 15 rifle case

I own a the double rifle case

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast