Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I get my AR from CO to NH?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Definitely Manchester. Small, easy to navigate, contained within a state with the following motto: Live Free Or Die.
    Honest to goodness MHT (Manchester) story. This is why I would not worry about flying to Manchester with an AR even though the story itself is pre 09/11.

In 1999 I was flying somewhat regularly from Manchester (I lived in Merrimack NH at the time) to Salt Lake City. I think I flew 11 times that year on that route. I would typically leave Thursday evening and return Sunday night. I had some servers in a data center in SLC and was doing work on them and visiting my parents and trying to jump start a non existent relationship I had with a girl at the time.

I flew with my ARs and other long guns a few times and handguns all the time. One time I got to the airport a little late. IIRC I parked in the (then new) parking garage that is right there instead of out in the long term parking where I usually parked (could be the garage was not finished until 2000 [also did a bunch of flying in 2000] and I had to take the long term shuttle to the terminal which made me later than desired after getting parked late), and went running in to the Delta/Comair checkin counter (this was when Comair's gate was on the very right of the airport and you walked out under an overhung walkway out to the plane and walked up the stairs -- I take it the new additions and stuff have upgraded Comair's gate since).

I had a locked long gun case with me. I get to the counter and tell them my flight (which was supposed to leave in like 20 min) and she said that the luggage acceptance was closed on that flight but that I could carry it to the gate and gate check it. I looked at her and said something along the lines of "really? I don't think they will let me through security with this" and nodded my head to the rifle case. She said something like, "oh, yeah" and gave me my boarding pass, grabbed the rifle case, and took off. IIRC we kind of skipped the "orange tag" bit. She ran it out to the plane and it got put on while I ran up through security and down and got there in time to get on the plane and go on my way...
    Last edited by chadbag; 11-23-10 at 00:11. Reason: spelling and a clarification
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    Honest to goodness MHT (Manchester) story. This is why I would not worry about flying to Manchester with an AR even though the story itself is pre 09/11.

In 1999 I was flying somewhat regularly from Manchester (I lived in Merrimack NH at the time) to Salt Lake City. I think I flew 11 times that year on that route. I would typically leave Thursday evening and return Sunday night. I had some servers in a data center in SLC and was doing work on them and visiting my parents and trying to jump start a non existent relationship I had with a girl at the time.

I flew with my ARs and other long guns a few times and handguns all the time. One time I got to the airport a little late. IIRC I parked in the (then new) parking garage that is right there instead of out in the long term parking where I usually parked, and went running in to the Delta/Comair checkin counter (this was when Comair's gate was on the very right of the airport and you walked out under an overhung walkway out to the plane and walked up the stairs -- I take it the new additions and stuff have upgraded Comair's gate since).

I had a locked long gun case with me. I get to the counter and tell them my flight (which was supposed to leave in like 20 min) and she said that the luggage acceptance was closed on that flight but that I could carry it to the gate and gate check it. I looked at her and said something along the lines of "really? I don't think they will let me through security with this" and nodded my head to the rifle case. She said something like, "oh, yeah" and gave me my boarding pass, grabbed the rifle case, and took off. IIRC we kind of skipped the "orange tag" bit. She ran it out to the plane and it got put on while I ran up through security and down and got there in time to get on the place and go on my way...
    Ah, the good old days. Funny, I was thru there about every six weeks in that time frame

Denver does have a 20rnd mag limit but travelers are supposed to be exempt. I've never had local PD ever involved in any handgun travel I've done so it won't probably come up.

Feedback Score
    keep in mind your ar isn't mass friendly. you could get hassled. If you fly Delta /NWA into manchester they should hold your gun and have you go to the luggage counter to claim it. It is a better system because they will check the tag and your id. It keeps shitheads from walking off with it. In most airports it will just keep circling the belt until someone grabs it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123