Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M16A4 Accuracy?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah1 View Post
    Rifle is a Colt Ar15 lower with a Colt M16A4 upper. Scope is a 3X Tijicon compact. Ammo was 69g Handload. Distance 600 yards.

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]
    It looks like your carry handle is moved back a notch instead of flush w/ the front of the upper reciever, if it matters.

I have the same weapon. I love it.

Dano5326 Guest
    IIRC the acceptance test for a m16 is 6moa

m885, POS 3 component, is 4moa ammo

most actual USGI m4a1's will do 2.5-4moa with m193 or more-so mk262

1-2moa is much rarer than bantered about the www

yes a premium barrel will shoot better, yes a freefloat rail makes for more consistent results.. but then you wouldn't be shooting an m16.

As far as I know only SOCOM has type standardized a FF rail on m4's. Some other special units will have varying flavors of what they think suits them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

M16A4 Accuracy

FWIW, the last time I shot an M16A4 was in 2006 at the All Army Small Arms Championships and then a few weeks later at the JSOC Small Arms Championships. Many of the better shooters were shooting scores nearing 200 on CMP targets out to 500 meters. This would reqiuire accuracy nearing 2 moa.

Here's the kicker: In both matches we all used rack-grade M16A4's with iron sights right out of the arms room. So yeah, the requirements may be 6 moa, but in MY limited experience most well cared for issue guns shoot a lot better than that.

Happy shooting!!! Be sure to post pics of your targets when you're done.

Feedback Score
    As everyone before me said, that ammo is holding you back the most. Next is the free-float, and then possibly the CL coating in the barrel.

If you want precision distance shots, possibly plan a new stainless steel, free-float upper?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B101ABN View Post
    It looks like your carry handle is moved back a notch instead of flush w/ the front of the upper reciever, if it matters.

I have the same weapon. I love it.
    If that puts the RCO where it needs to be for correct eye relief, so be it. I was too busy oohing and aahing over the wide open spaces. Been to Utah a handful of times for work, but never had the chance to go shooting out there. Man I wish there were miles of BLM land back east.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    As far as I know only SOCOM has type standardized a FF rail on m4's. Some other special units will have varying flavors of what they think suits them.
    Do you know if this is because FF rails are being actively resisted or it's just not that high a priority?

On chrome lining: there are a number of companies who make sub-2 MOA chrome-lined AR-15 barrels (off the top of my head, BCM, Centurion, Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense), so I doubt chrome lining can be to blame. Aren't FN bolt guns also chrome lined?

-B
    Last edited by BAC; 01-05-11 at 19:40.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    On chrome lining: there are a number of companies who make sub-2 MOA chrome-lined AR-15 barrels (off the top of my head, BCM, Centurion, Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense), so I doubt chrome lining can be to blame. Aren't FN bolt guns also chrome lined?
    I agree and you're correct on the FN bolt guns.

I think making an accurate CL is a difficult & more expensive process that only a few mfg can afford.
    *** Damn Proud to Be an American Ally ! ***

The Armory:
    Colt 6601 - Colt 6731 - Colt 613 - Steyr StG.58 - M1 Carbine - Galil SAR - CZ Scorpion EVO - Franchi PA8 - Glock 17 - Pietta/Colt SAA 1873 - SA 1911A1 Mil Spec - Ruger LCP

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    If that puts the RCO where it needs to be for correct eye relief, so be it. I was too busy oohing and aahing over the wide open spaces. Been to Utah a handful of times for work, but never had the chance to go shooting out there. Man I wish there were miles of BLM land back east.
    Werd.

I wasn't trying to bag on the blaster,, but it was something that stood out to me.

Good times.

Feedback Score
    The M16A4 barrel itself, is essentially the same barrel found on the M16A2. It’s a 20” government profile barrel, with a NATO chamber, chrome-lining and a 1:7” twist.

The following accuracy evaluation was conducted using a Colt M16A2 barrel. The barrel was free-floated with a KAC RAS and the standard front-sight base was replaced with a GG&G gas block/flip-up front sight.

This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any Group Reduction Techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots). The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The free-float handguard of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

Three 10-shot groups of hand-loaded, match-grade ammunition topped Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings were fired from the Colt M16A2 barrel at 100 yards. Those three groups had extreme speads of

1.21”
    1.24”
    1.32”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.26”. This particular barrel was one of the most accurate M16A2 barrels that I’ve tested. I have yet to see anyone who claimed to get consistent MOA (let alone sub-MOA) accuracy with this type of barrel be able to produce statistically significantly data to support their claim when asked to do so.

Last edited by Molon; 01-06-11 at 15:00.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You should get around 2moa with halfway decent ammo. When I BZO'd before heading downrange, I was shooting around 2" groups at 100 yards. It was your standard USMC issued FHN made M16A4 w/ TA31RCO, 62gr green tips.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast