Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fixed or variable power optic?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The real complication is in your caliber choice. If you were going .308 I'd definitely say the fixed 10x is a good choice to reach out beyond 500 yards. Using 6.8 (or 5.56) out to 500 yards max, the waters become a bit more muddied.

Having used a fixed 10x quite a bit I've found they work quite well at the ranges you specified (though I've only used them in .308). Inside of 100 yards is where you're going to start finding drawbacks but they're not overwhelming if you practice with your optic.

That said a fixed 10x may not be the "ideal" choice,it can certainly work and work well but what you save in money you're going to have to make up for in ammo and practice.

Remember that Marines and other snipers have used fixed 10x quite effectively for years (though strictly in .308/7.62 and recently they're switching to variables). They can be quite effective if you understand the cons as well as the pros and decide whether the cons are worth the money for a variable power.

It's not a CQB optic, an offset mount RMR would be an ideal match for close-in shooting. If however the ranges you specified represent 70% of your shooting than the fixed 10x can work well.

You're also correct that you can get much nicer glass for less money. It also eliminates the issue of FFP. Variable scopes are all well and good but those mil-dots/adjustments are only going to work at a specified power (usually the max) and so for real precision work you're going to have a de-facto fixed power scope anyways unless you make the investment in a FFP which can also add significant cost. (The NF 2.5-10x is NOT FFP).

No choice is without cost, it's just in where you want to make trade offs/economies.

What would be the minimum power recommended for a variable scope while shooting 1000 yards ?
    How good are your eyes and how precise are you looking to be? 10x at 1000 yards is like open sights at 100 yards. If you're comfortable making head shots with open sights at that distance 10x would be fine.

I'd generally say 3-15x but that's just me.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-04-11 at 08:59.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12