Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Tactical Buckshot Gel Test Data

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Federal Tactical Buckshot Gel Test Data

Here's a nice link from Federal's Law Enforcement website detailing how various tactical buckshot and slug loads perform in gel and on target.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Shotshell_Data_Book.pdf
    Last edited by 147 Grain; 11-10-10 at 18:26.

Feedback Score
    Good find.

Makes me question the need for the full power LEB 127 RS that I buy. Doesn't seem to do anything more than the low recoil. Even only hits 10" w/heavy clothing. Impressive temporary wound cavity just a bit shallow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WC 2-3 View Post
    Good find.

Makes me question the need for the full power LEB 127 RS that I buy. Doesn't seem to do anything more than the low recoil. Even only hits 10" w/heavy clothing. Impressive temporary wound cavity just a bit shallow.
    My department issues low recoil Federal Buckshot. When I asked the friearms training guys about it they said they found no real difference in actual shootings and the smaller officers were able to control the 12 guage more.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I run the low recoil 132 and 133 for that reason. I buy the full power slugs in an apparent false notion that it would do better on barriers like car doors and glass.

Feedback Score
    I am surprised at the lack of penetration of the slugs. Not what I expected at all.

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm wondering if there would be a terminal effects difference in the buckshot at longer ranges. These tests were done at only 3.3 yards. Buckshot slows down quite a bit as you increase range. The full power loads would likely have superior penetration ability at ranges of 15-20yards.

Not that scientific, but I have noticed differences in 00-buck low recoil, and full power loads on the dozens of hogs I have shot over the years. Particularly since I'm often shooting them at ranges greater than 7 yards.
    Last edited by Entropy; 11-11-10 at 10:28.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Painless View Post
    I am surprised at the lack of penetration of the slugs. Not what I expected at all.
    Those are very soft lead. I'd like to see some testing on their new hardened "Deep Penetrator" Truball, especially on glass and steel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    I'm wondering if there would be a terminal effects difference in the buckshot at longer ranges. These tests were done at only 3.3 yards. Buckshot slows down quite a bit as you increase range. The full power loads would likely have superior penetration ability at ranges of 15-20yards.

Not that scientific, but I have noticed differences in 00-buck low recoil, and full power loads on the dozens of hogs I have shot over the years. Particularly since I'm often shooting them at ranges greater than 7 yards.
    I would be curious if the Tactical Precision load would carry better down range even though it's low velocity. Might retain it's energy better being a solid projo until it hits its target.

Feedback Score
    Because of poor intermediate barrier penetration from most Foster style slugs, the only slugs we recommend are Brenneke.

Feedback Score

Question

DocGKR or Anyone:

Are there other manufactures besides Brenneke that load the same 1-oz. slug with distinctive ribs?

I have some leftover Brenneke K.O. ammo where the slug was made in Germany and loaded in the USA by Kent Cartridge @ 1,600 fps (Product Code (12 09 70). This load is obviously very stout with massive recoil in a lighterweight 18 1/2" barreled shotgun.

Conversely, Brenneke's current K.O. loading (Product Code SL-122KO) is toned down to 1,383 fps.

Moreover, Brenneke's even lower-recoiling Tactical Force Home Defense load at 1,256 fps seems to hit the spot just right. Is this the load you recommend from Brenneke?

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/l_tac...e_defense.html

Here's some detailed info that can be gleaned from Brenneke - see page 9 where a comparison is made between major manufacturers' slugs:

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/filea..._catalogue.pdf
    Last edited by 147 Grain; 11-11-10 at 15:28.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast