Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sincere Question: What is a shotgun good for? (besides birds)

Feedback Score
    Multiple wound channels created by multiple projectiles (ie shot pellets) can effect more than one system and create more opportunities for bleeding and pure tissue destruction.

Essentially it can create a larger wound channel.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Because

Every red blooded American that believes in the 2nd Amendment needs a shotgun. Plus if some of your non gun savvy friends give you shit I hear rock salt is quite painful.
    Last edited by jklaughrey; 11-12-10 at 22:46.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ASH556:
    Of your purposes listed I can understand that a SG may have no immediate purpose. I belive that the SG is excecllent in the house, excellent in the field, and just plaine fun. The one you listed is well equiped and will serve you well. Throw it in the truck and know that if needed it does have a purpose, with practice it is an effictive tool out to 50 yards and packs a wallop.

Feedback Score

Call me old fashion....

From an LEO perspective:

I find myself deploying my shotgun much more than my AR. I keep my shotgun (14” 590) in my rack by choice. I keep the tube loaded with 00 buck. The AR is in the trunk.

I consider the shotgun an “oh shit!” weapon. The 14” shotgun in much quicker and easier to rapidly deploy from my vehicle than my AR. I keep the tube loaded with 00 buck. I can fire it through the windshield while seated if needed. (Yes, I can also fire my 6921 this way with the stock collapsed.)

I prefer the shotgun when going into homes under most circumstances. Obviously, I weigh each situation as it arises based on the information received, and then ultimately determine which platform to deploy.

Yesterday, I deployed a long gun twice. The first incident was the AR. Wanted, armed suspects fled in a vehicle, then on foot. They ran through a residential area, then into a graveyard. I established containment on the far end of the graveyard. Naturally, the AR was the obvious choice for this task.

Later in the evening, some POS’s were seen burglarizing a home and thought to still be inside. The shotty was put to use to clear and secure the home.

If I could only have one, I would take the AR in a heartbeat.

From a Home Defense perspective:

I just throw on my duty belt or grab a handgun. If I chose a long gun, for my home and living situation, it is a shotgun. Unless the Russians are invading, there really is nothing the shotgun with 00 buck can’t handle.

If I lived in a rural area and/or a bigger home, the AR would be the tool of choice.

This is not, and should not turn into a shotgun vs. AR debate. This is the way I see it. And, yes, I am in the minority with my thinking. I say…what ever makes you sleep better at night. I still have a lot of faith in the shotgun and 00 buck. I do not care for slugs. As a rule, if you anticipate needing slugs (for range), take an AR (unless it is a BEAR attack! ). I do keep 4 slugs in the saddle for exigent circumstances.

What best suits me, may not be what best suits you or the next guy.

Your millage will vary.

Feedback Score
    let's see....

1. I don't like the idea of a manually operated fighting weapon.

2. I don't like the idea of a fighting weapon being tube fed.

3. shotgun shells are expensive to train with.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I think it adds a level of versatility to the arsenal. You can shoot birdshot (if needed) load it with 00 buck or slugs for defense and you can use it as a breacher in some cases.

Obviously these scenarios are all situationally dependent. I think having a good shotgun around is a good idea. At close range it is still devastatingly effective. But, they aren't for everyone.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score

Versatility

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I think it adds a level of versatility to the arsenal. You can shoot birdshot (if needed) load it with 00 buck or slugs for defense and you can use it as a breacher in some cases.

Obviously these scenarios are all situationally dependent. I think having a good shotgun around is a good idea. At close range it is still devastatingly effective. But, they aren't for everyone.
    Plus there are many Less than lethal options available..as in Rubber Buckshot and Slugs. One can also obtain signaling rounds i.e...Flares, Bird Bombs, Frangible breaching rounds etc...

And while many will quickly discount the "Pucker Factor" arguement....if a bad guy finds himself staring down the wrong end of the old shotgun......I would venture to say that he or she would swear they could crawl into the end of that twelve gauge hole pointed at them.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    A 12gg is great for HD. You have the ability to change ammo easy, mix ammo, and load less lethal rounds in front of lethal, and lets not forget the damage a 12gg does up close. Why would you chase a invader out of your home And I would think if your not a LEO and shoot someone outside shotgun range your going to get into some legal trouble.
    Sorry, I come from the world of long range. Forgive my ignorance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    That's really the problem. I feel like the shotgun is a gun looking for a purpose. I have it because "everyone" says you need one...
    Terrible reason to own any firearm. I'd sell it. If it isn't around because you like it, you won't spend the time with it required to get good with it and that'll make it a self fulfilling prophecy. Personally I love mine and because of that, I've spent the time to get good with them. They are a wonderful weapon when used within their envelope.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar 319 View Post
    From an LEO perspective:

I find myself deploying my shotgun much more than my AR. I keep my shotgun (14” 590) in my rack by choice. I keep the tube loaded with 00 buck. The AR is in the trunk.

I consider the shotgun an “oh shit!” weapon. The 14” shotgun in much quicker and easier to rapidly deploy from my vehicle than my AR. I keep the tube loaded with 00 buck. I can fire it through the windshield while seated if needed. (Yes, I can also fire my 6921 this way with the stock collapsed.)

I prefer the shotgun when going into homes under most circumstances. Obviously, I weigh each situation as it arises based on the information received, and then ultimately determine which platform to deploy.

Yesterday, I deployed a long gun twice. The first incident was the AR. Wanted, armed suspects fled in a vehicle, then on foot. They ran through a residential area, then into a graveyard. I established containment on the far end of the graveyard. Naturally, the AR was the obvious choice for this task.

Later in the evening, some POS’s were seen burglarizing a home and thought to still be inside. The shotty was put to use to clear and secure the home.

If I could only have one, I would take the AR in a heartbeat.

From a Home Defense perspective:

I just throw on my duty belt or grab a handgun. If I chose a long gun, for my home and living situation, it is a shotgun. Unless the Russians are invading, there really is nothing the shotgun with 00 buck can’t handle.

If I lived in a rural area and/or a bigger home, the AR would be the tool of choice.

This is not, and should not turn into a shotgun vs. AR debate. This is the way I see it. And, yes, I am in the minority with my thinking. I say…what ever makes you sleep better at night. I still have a lot of faith in the shotgun and 00 buck. I do not care for slugs. As a rule, if you anticipate needing slugs (for range), take an AR (unless it is a BEAR attack! ). I do keep 4 slugs in the saddle for exigent circumstances.

What best suits me, may not be what best suits you or the next guy.

Your millage will vary.
    Nice post, I agree completely! The shotgun has its niche and it's tremendous within that niche. The AR can handle more situations which might arise so if I were to only have one, it'd be the AR.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast