Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pullup Tips?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    One other Pavel program, adaptable to lower reps, although sounds like you could start with the regular program now. Congratulations on the improvement - keep up the good work.

www.kbnj.com/FighterPullupByPavel.htm

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Bushmasterfanboy, forgive me for asking this question, but is there any flesh around your waist that could be dropped? If so, that is a great way to push your numbers up because it would mean you are doing weighted pullups right now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    Bushmasterfanboy, forgive me for asking this question, but is there any flesh around your waist that could be dropped? If so, that is a great way to push your numbers up because it would mean you are doing weighted pullups right now.
    Without a doubt, yes. I certainly have more weight to lose, and it would help immensely with pullups I think, if my experiences with weighted pullups are anything to judge from.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I usually just try to do 4-5 sets of 12-15 pullups throughout the day on the crossbeam in the tool shed at work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A lot of people are not even aware that there is a proper technique for a pull-up. Most people try to "muscle" it with their arms when they need to incorporate more back and core. Using the proper technique not only allows you to do more pull-ups but also keeps you from jacking up your elbows and shoulders. This is a good video that explains the technique from properly "packing" the shoulders to incorporating your core (not to be confused with kipping). Keep your shoulders "packed" and make sure you keep your entire body is rigid as you pull.Try it and see if it helps.
    Last edited by vaglocker; 12-13-10 at 14:54.
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Ahhh, pullups, ughhh. I struggled with pull ups early in my career, I could only do about 10 reverse grip dead hangs and that was my plateau. I then decided to get proactive so here's what I did:

Wide forward grip lat pull downs. Do 3 Sets of 20 at whatever weight you can pull down, even if its 10lbs.

Row row row your boat. Get on a row machine and spend about 10-15 min a day. Its great cardio and will build your back pretty quickly.

Assisted Pull up machine. Do 20 wide forward grip pull ups at whatever weight you can do it.

And finally, pull ups. There is no substitute to the real thing, and when combined with pushups you can really build your upper body. If you want a great natural build, do variations of pull ups, dips, and push ups.

Hope this helps, I can do about 20-25 during PFT season, and about 16-20 in the off season. I will say this though, if you dont keep your pull up regimen going regularly, your body will react and you will lose alot of that strength.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    A lot of people are not even aware that there is a proper technique for a pull-up. Most people try to "muscle" it with their arms when they need to incorporate more back and core. Using the proper technique not only allows you to do more pull-ups but also keeps you from jacking up your elbows and shoulders. This is a good video that explains the technique from properly "packing" the shoulders to incorporating your core (not to be confused with kipping). Keep your shoulders "packed" and make sure you keep your entire body is rigid as you pull.Try it and see if it helps.
    I completely missed this post. You are dead on, the pull up is a core exercise, not an arm workout. Negative pull ups are amazing ways to up your number, thanks for posting that,

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pavel program, and get a weighted belt for added resistance.
    [I]Life is Hard, It is even Harder if You are Stupid.
    John Wayne[/I]

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Right now I'm maxed at 25 dead hang pull-ups. When I was trying to get to that number I did pull-ups almost every day. I only did one real back workout per week but I do several sets of pull-ups every day. I would do 3-4 easy sets 6-10 reps almost every day.

My goal this year is to do 10 pull-ups and 15 dips with body weight plus 50 pounds.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 12-21-10 at 21:33.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234