Thread: Steel plate talk

Feedback Score

Steel plate talk

Hey folks,

I've recently been seeing that my local range (dirt "canyon" in national forest land) is increasingly attracting more inexperienced shooters. While it's not dangerous to the degree that I'm expecting to get shot, and I'm not expecting anything intentional, I think it would be prudent to take some measures for my own safety. I've been looking at getting some anti-ricochet & backsplatter armor for a while now, so this seems like a pretty good time to knock down a couple birds. The constraining factor here is that I don't own any armor right now, and I am on a pretty tight budget, since I am a student.

Due to the topology of the site, I think my main concern is frontal protection. After doing some research, I think my best and most inexpensive option is to get a plate carrier and a steel plate in front. I know soft armor has better coverage, but it's all pretty expensive, and doesn't handle rifle shots. I also know that steel is heavy, but I'm not fastroping through skylights or anything, so the weight isn't my cardinal issue.

Right now I'm looking at the BattleLab FAPC carrier, since it's inexpensive, looks relatively manageable, and I'm looking for some magazine carrying ability, too. Also, while it is pretty militant in appearance, it's something I think I could conceivably wear under a coat, and not get too much attention for.

My main concern now is for the plates. I've been shopping around, and like I mentioned before, I'm pretty sure my only affordable choice is getting a steel plate. Thing is, quite a few places offer different steel plates at prices around $100. Is there a particular plate on the market that's a better choice than the others?

Offhand right now, I'm looking at offerings from BulletProofMe.com, Tamiami, and Kejo. Does anyone have experience with these, with a recommendation?

Are there any others I should know about?

Thoughts & comments are appreciated

Feedback Score
    First off, I highly suggest soft armor underneath. Do a search here and on some of the other popular message boards, and you'll find that it is highly recommended. It's no good stopping a rifle round if your innards are mush.

Having said that...

I know a lot of folks hate Botach, but you may want to check this option: http://www.botac.com/ceprleiv.html

Model #TC4B - NIJ Level III/IV in conjunction with NIJ Certified Level IIIA Vest
    10x12
    Triple Curved
    6.5lbs
    $149.95 shipped!!!

Mine was about a week turn around, and that was with a holiday. Plate came packaged with better than I expected padding.

For good budget ICW plates, it's definitely worth considering.
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    The BulletProofMe plate is a standalone plate; the other two I haven't called about, but they're just representative.

I do believe "standalone" is able to be used without soft armor underneath?

Going for vest + plates is my preference, but is prohibitively expensive.

Feedback Score
    Standalone is acceptable, but not all plates are created equal and a great many folks believe in still wearing soft armor underneath. Traditional soft armor will also allow for some side protection.

Don't quote me, but I believe you can have both steel and soft armor cut for you by bulletproofme for pretty decent prices.
    Stephen
    Molon Labe

"The Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." Herger the Joyous

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I have a set of the plates that Neeglik showed above. I also had the stand alone version of that same plate, it was approximatley 2.5 - 3 lbs heavier and approixmately 30 - 35% thicker.

To carry one plate around on the front can get very uncomfortalbe very quickly. The plate carrier will pull forward, the plate will be protecting you upper stomach and lower abs, leaving your chest exposed, and the rear of the plate carrier will be digging into the back of your neck.

If you are worried enough to wear a front plate, doesn't it make sense to wear a rear plate as well? Front and rear plates will be more comfortable (they will balance out the chest rig) and afford you more protection.

Not all threats in life come from your 12 o'clock position.

Just food for thought