Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "AK as only rifle" thread got me thinking . . .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

"AK as only rifle" thread got me thinking . . .

I read something in an article by Gabe Suarez that made me wonder why more people don't choose the AK as their primary carbine. AKs can and do jam, as we all know. But according to him, after years of using the AK as the preferred carbine for his training courses, they have never had a parts breakage. My understanding is that ARs that meet or exceed the TDP rarely break under heavy use, but it's not unheard of.

Can anyone speak to this? Do AKs break under heavy use too? Are breakages not really a problem with ARs on the left side of the Chart, or is running an AK the only real way to be sure?

FWIW, I use an ARP rifle with an enhanced bolt.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've seen malfunctions of various types but I've personally never seen a parts breakage on an AK. I have seen FCG axis pins walk out and F everything up, though.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If I had one 1 platform to choose from, it would be the AK. I have both and have shot both extensively. The AK has had much less malfunctions of any kind in my hands.

O

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've seen a lot broken with AK's. However, most of them were full-auto's.

Templar and I had similar things to say about the robustness of AK parts in this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65293
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    I've shot ARs until worn out parts caused malfunctions and needed replaced. I have just as many rounds through AKs without breaking anything that I can think of at this moment.

Feedback Score
    Yes, AKs break under heavy use. Mainly, though, the problems I've seen have been the result of shoddy manufacture, as everyone thinks they can make one.

We have 20 of those bad boys lying broken in our arms room right now. The main causes of that are two-fold: 1. They are original AK-47s, pre-AKM and have been run so long and so hard that they are just worn the hell out. 2. They are made in a cave, in Darra, Pakistan, with goats wandering around, and were foisted off as "real" AKs.

The AK is a robust system, but I think the reason I prefer an AR over them has to do with usability NOT robustness.

Robust construction is waaaay overrated in a self-defense firearm, imo. I'd say that more people should pay attention to ergonomics and training issues, before they get wrapped around the axle as to which rifle can be driven over by a tank and still function. Frankly, a piece piece of pig iron would be better than an AK by those criteria.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Cunningham View Post
    I've seen malfunctions of various types but I've personally never seen a parts breakage on an AK. I have seen FCG axis pins walk out and F everything up, though.
    I've seen that happen with a Saiga 12 once. We started using the Red Star retaining plate after that, and the problem went away.

I have seen an AK break a firing pin in a class once, and I have seen an original Russian full-auto AK have a double-feed. They're not magical by any stretch of the imagination, but they are built tough.

Feedback Score
    Robust construction is waaaay overrated in a self-defense firearm, imo. I'd say that more people should pay attention to ergonomics and training issues, before they get wrapped around the axle as to which rifle can be driven over by a tank and still function
    So long as crappy brand ar15's keep getting purchased and problems keep occuring, people will resort to praising the AK and the myths surrounding it.

Without a doubt, if the US market had a wide variety of semi auto rifles available for the same price, AK's would be bottom barrel forgotten rifles.

Who would by an AK over an ar70/90, swedish AK5, g36, sig550/540, stoner 63, etc? All of which are known to have excellent operating system features and in some ways, a better control layout.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The Kalashnikov remains a very viable weapon - you'd be a fool to doubt that in the hands of a skilled end user.

Feedback Score
    I'm very comfortable with a "Factory" made AK and would have no reservations about using one exclusively but I can also say the same thing about the FAL, HK 91, Springfield Armory M1A or a Quality AR 15.

I was in a "Situation" once when a .38 Davis Derringer with two in the chambers and 6 loose rounds in my pocket was all I had. Train with what yoou have and adapt your tactics to the weapon at hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast