Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "AK as only rifle" thread got me thinking . . .

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The Kalashnikov remains a very viable weapon - you'd be a fool to doubt that in the hands of a skilled end user.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Who would by an AK over an ar70/90, swedish AK5, g36, sig550/540, stoner 63, etc? All of which are known to have excellent operating system features and in some ways, a better control layout.
    I'm on my 4th AR (the best one of the group). I have also owned Mini-14s, a M1 Garand and a SA M1A from my high power days, a HK-91 (that I sold like a dumb ass) and now a Krebs AK along with my 4th AR.

Odd thing about the AK, but the more I use it the more I like it. It's the crudest (design wise) of the bunch but has never missed a beat - can't say that about any of the other semi-auto rifles I've owned. Like the homely girl who will do anything for you, the more time I spend with her, the more I appreciate her hidden beauty.

Granted I spent more than others on the rifle purchase and subsequent mods, but I haven't looked back.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    I'm very comfortable with a "Factory" made AK and would have no reservations about using one exclusively but I can also say the same thing about the FAL, HK 91, Springfield Armory M1A or a Quality AR 15.

I was in a "Situation" once when a .38 Davis Derringer with two in the chambers and 6 loose rounds in my pocket was all I had. Train with what yoou have and adapt your tactics to the weapon at hand.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Yes, AKs break under heavy use. Mainly, though, the problems I've seen have been the result of shoddy manufacture, as everyone thinks they can make one.
    No joke. I personally find it amusing that we're now seeing all sorts of problems with cobbled AK's because it's the exact same problem that has plagued the AR industry for years..

I also find it annoying when I post a picture of an incredibly dicked-up build and someone says, 'aw it's an AK, it'll be just fine!'
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So long as crappy brand ar15's keep getting purchased and problems keep occuring, people will resort to praising the AK and the myths surrounding it.

Without a doubt, if the US market had a wide variety of semi auto rifles available for the same price, AK's would be bottom barrel forgotten rifles.

Who would by an AK over an ar70/90, swedish AK5, g36, sig550/540, stoner 63, etc? All of which are known to have excellent operating system features and in some ways, a better control layout.

I'd rather have a quality AK over a G36.

Have you gotten any trigger time on any of the systems you're referencing, or just pulling stuff from what you've learned on the 'net?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePAL84 View Post
    I also find it annoying when I post a picture of an incredibly dicked-up build and someone says, 'aw it's an AK, it'll be just fine!'
    Thanks Dave, that made me laugh.

Feedback Score
    or just pulling stuff from what you've learned on the 'net?
    pretty much it.

It doesn't take much to watch a video of rifles in action, in human hands and think, "wow, that feature seems to work well enough.", or doesn't work....

I didn't have to own and shoot an AK to realize that I have to lose my grip to activate the safety lever. There's plenty of people on youtube demonstrating that.

I don't have to buy a B.A.D. lever to see how it works when there's plenty of videos out there showing me pro/cons.

Sometimes second hand experience is good enough.

Feedback Score
    I would buy an AK over any of those sans the AK5/FNC.

For some reason I have FNC on the brain and it never goes away.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    pretty much it.

It doesn't take much to watch a video of rifles in action, in human hands and think, "wow, that feature seems to work well enough.", or doesn't work....

I didn't have to own and shoot an AK to realize that I have to lose my grip to activate the safety lever. There's plenty of people on youtube demonstrating that.

I don't have to buy a B.A.D. lever to see how it works when there's plenty of videos out there showing me pro/cons.

Sometimes second hand experience is good enough.
    Really......

Well alrighty then.

Last edited by TOrrock; 11-17-10 at 15:42.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 SS View Post
    I would buy an AK over any of those sans the AK5/FNC.

For some reason I have FNC on the brain and it never goes away.

They're a "cheap" way to get into the Class III community.

Just buy a bunch of spare firing pins.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast