Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "AK as only rifle" thread got me thinking . . .

Feedback Score
    I guess I've heard it all now.

Get some trigger time, see what actually works for you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNO View Post
    Bingo bango!

Gentlemen we are now living in the golden age of firearm training. Never before have civilians, LEOs, and Military personnel have had so many training opportunities with people who know what the hell their doing than right now.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNO View Post
    I guess I've heard it all now.

ar15 lol

Feedback Score
    Well there you go. If the AR 15 works for you then thats how you should go but be careful about critiquing a weapons platform before you've actually tried it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    They're a "cheap" way to get into the Class III community.

Just buy a bunch of spare firing pins.
    Thats the goal some day. I just think of it as an antique SCAR. (and a better looking one too. . .) For some reason I can never look away when someone shows me Belgian stuff.
    Last edited by 96 SS; 11-17-10 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    pretty much it.

It doesn't take much to watch a video of rifles in action, in human hands and think, "wow, that feature seems to work well enough.", or doesn't work....

I didn't have to own and shoot an AK to realize that I have to lose my grip to activate the safety lever. There's plenty of people on youtube demonstrating that.

I don't have to buy a B.A.D. lever to see how it works when there's plenty of videos out there showing me pro/cons.

Sometimes second hand experience is good enough.
    I wouldn't have said it that way, bro.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    I'd rather have a quality AK over a G36.

Have you gotten any trigger time on any of the systems you're referencing, or just pulling stuff from what you've learned on the 'net?

Oh, c'mon it's a rifle made by HK. It's gotta be good.....right? Did a two week test of the G36 with my squad mates when they were being considered. I wanted so badly to like that rifle. It just didn't happen. For me, it didn't pass the "Would I want to kick in a door and engage a boogeyman with this rifle?" question.

Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    pretty much it.

It doesn't take much to watch a video of rifles in action, in human hands and think, "wow, that feature seems to work well enough.", or doesn't work....

I didn't have to own and shoot an AK to realize that I have to lose my grip to activate the safety lever. There's plenty of people on youtube demonstrating that.

I don't have to buy a B.A.D. lever to see how it works when there's plenty of videos out there showing me pro/cons.

Sometimes second hand experience is good enough.
    Since we're talking G36's a bit, I suggest viewing Larry Vickers' Tactical Arms episode where the G36 is discussed. That'd be a great way to get some second hand experience and a clue about how that rifle is not all that it seems.

Back to the AK...I have a Rifle Dynamics AK47 built by Jim Fuller. I highly recommend his rifles, but there are far more qualified people that recommend his work. I bought it because I wanted to own an AK. It has become a favorite of mine now and I would not hesitate to keep it above my LMT if the need arose. Mr. Fuller has a fantastic quote from a former SEAL on his website:

"The AK? Nothing wrong with it,

Inaccurate? Step out to 300 yards and give me a mag.

Complicated? I’ve seen 12 year olds on the 2-way range run it.

This cheap, simple, easy to maintain gun has killed a lot of bad mother ****ers. I have a nice scar on my leg from some amateur who used this “cheap gun” to tattoo my”professional” ass.

I prefer the M-4 but I have used the AK in combat. My enemy uses the AK so I have spent a lot of time learning to use it. Some guys far more experienced than I prefer the AK.

Who makes a good one? Whoever follows Mr Kalashnikov's design, uses the right materials and processes and who won’t allow shit to bare their name."
    Nothing man-portable is guaranteed to end a fight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWulf View Post
    Who makes a good one? Whoever follows Mr Kalashnikov's design, uses the right materials and processes and who won’t allow shit to bare their name."
    Again, sounds pretty familiar around here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    its just so boringggggggg with only an AK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tobasco View Post
    its just so boringggggggg with only an AK.
    Nothing boring about putting lead down range!

I'd rather have a quality AK over a G36.
    What has brought you to that decision?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast